From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: Gentoo project list <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: comrel changes
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 01:28:11
1 On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 1:04 PM Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
2 > Team,
3 >
4 > We are trying to define a solution before the problem(s) we want to solve
5 > has/have been framed.
6 >
7 > What problems, (if any), need to be addressed?
8 >
9 > Once problems and potential solutions have been agreed then metrics
10 > can be designed to measure the efficacy (or oherwise) of the solutions.
11 >
12 > So what are the perceived problem(s) ?
13 >
14 > Potential solutions and metrics are out of scope meanwhile.
15
16 <comrel-hat>
17 Inside of ComRel I see way too much analysis paralysis. Discussion of
18 the most minute details ad infinitum. Endless debate about whether
19 it's more appropriate to use "should" or "needs to" in a response
20 (among three non-native speakers! :D). Large differences in opinion
21 among ComRel members about the efficacy of punishments, about the
22 severity of infractions, etc. Very little cohesion. The aim of the
23 monthly reports, in my view, would be to act as a forcing function to
24 respond more quickly to reports.
25
26 People will be pissed if ComRel bans someone and people will be pissed
27 if ComRel doesn't ban that same someone. That's more or less to be
28 expected. The thing that's missing (in my view) is a sense of
29 legitimacy on the part of ComRel to act on behalf of the greater
30 community. I sense this lack of legitimacy pretty often among
31 developers.
32
33 Complaints probably follow the 80/20 rule
34 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_principle) (80% of reports are
35 about 20% of people). It's not clear that some of these cases are
36 "solvable" in a way that keeps both the reporter and reportee in the
37 community. How do we balance that? Knowing how devs feel about general
38 questions like this would inform at least me about how I should vote.
39 </comrel-hat>
40
41 Outside of ComRel the problem I've personally had is that reports have
42 been ignored. In fact, one report lead to agreement that a ComRel
43 action should take place and then... nothing. Once ComRel responded
44 again the lead at the time said too much time had passed (~a month) to
45 punish the person now. Extremely frustrating for reporters. I don't
46 think I'm the only one with this sort of experience. (I suggest that
47 we require bugs to be filed -- not emailed to comrel@ -- so they're
48 more easily tracked).
49
50 That's at least what comes to mind most immediately...