From: Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev] Special meeting
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 05:02:24
1 Simon Cooper <thecoop@××××××.com> said:
2 > Yes, it is harsh, but that is what the rules say. Not obeying your /own/
3 > rules when they are inconvenient sets a very bad precedent. If, at some
4 > point in the future, gentoo does get a slacker council, then when faced
5 > with being replaced they could say something like 'but you ignored the GLEP
6 > at this instance, and this is the same situation because of yadda yadda
7 > yadda...'. Even if what's being said is complete rubbish it will
8 > significantly slow down the process of getting a new council simply because
9 > there has been this one exception made. Furthermore, the reason given
10 > (there wasn't enough advertising about the meeting given out) is quite
11 > nebulous - 'enough advertising' can mean /anything/. Making this one
12 > exception also makes it easier for greater exceptions in the future (the
13 > whole 'slipperly slope' argument).
14 >
15 > If people don't like the clause, then the new council can vote to remove
16 > it. No one would disagree with that. But you _cannot_ simply ignore parts
17 > of GLEPs that turn out to be inconvenient. Doing so sets a bad precedent
18 > that could be a lot more damaging to gentoo in the future than the small
19 > inconvenience of having a council election a couple of months early, and
20 > indeed undermines the GLEP itself as something that is seen as optional. It
21 > will also ensure all council meetings are properly advertised in the
22 > future, which can only be a good thing.
23
24 I also just wanted to say that you pretty much summed up what I was
25 going to send. As one of the people that voted on this GLEP, I like
26 exactly how it is written, and we voted it in based on how it was
27 written. Lets follow our own rules and stop debating on this so we can
28 move on please.
29
30 Thanks,
33 Mark Loeser