From: Rich Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] With regard to udev stabilization
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 21:02:40
1 On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
2 > ... Except that is specifically what WilliamH is requesting --
3 > policy, that any user planning to use a separate /usr on gentoo for
4 > linux be required to either use an initramfs or busybox[sep-usr]; ie,
5 > the two methods that allow /usr to be mounted early enough to blur any
6 > technical limitations between separating / and /usr (on linux)
7 >
8 > Right?
9
10 Yup, though whether you call it a policy or guidance or whatever, the
11 bottom line is the same.
12
13 I think what this boils down to is that there are masked versions of
14 packages out there which will break systems that have a separate /usr
15 that don't get it mounted early in boot. Those who maintain them want
16 to get them out into testing, and eventually make them stable.
17 They're holding off to allow everybody to migrate.
18
19 It sounds like we might or might not have another migration option,
20 which is great. However, considering a pre-req is going to be having
21 things like the relevant genkernel stable first I think it makes sense
22 to at least get the ball rolling.
23
24 I think we need some kind of timeline for moving this along - most of
25 the pieces are in place now, and we just need to coordinate moving
26 them into stable and sending out communications and having a timeline
27 for users to make their changes, whether that is an initramfs, or a
28 udev alternative, or early boot scripts, or whatever.
29
30 Rich