From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: What should the default acceptable licenses be?
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2019 10:44:55
1 >>>>> On Wed, 13 Feb 2019, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
2
3 > On 2019-02-12 20:40, Alec Warner wrote:
4 >> This is why I continue to advocate for a deliberate choice based on
5 >> the social contract ("Gentoo is and will remain Free and thus the
6 >> default should be "-* @FREE" rather than some kind of objective
7 >> choice based on 'consequences'; which I think just muddle the point.
8
9 > Sorry, I don't get this. You understand that a change from
10
11 >> ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA" (active today)
15 >> ACCEPT_LICENSE="-* @FREE"
16
17 > is the same like
18
19 >> ACCEPT_LICENSE="@FREE"
20
21 > Isn't it ("-*" isn't needed; at the moment we say "don't prompt for
22 > _any license_ except licenses from @EUAL group")?
23
24 It is the same when starting from an empty default. IIUC, Portage
25 does its lookup in the order make.globals, then make.defaults,
26 then make.conf, so keeping the "-*" would have the advantage that it
27 overrides the default of previous Portage versions. Otherwise, I don't
28 see how "-* @FREE" (rather than "@FREE") could cause any harm.
29
30 Ulrich