From: desultory <desultory@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] pre-GLEP: Gentoo OpenPGP web of trust
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2019 06:00:32
1 On 02/01/19 01:57, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2019-01-31 at 09:21 -0500, Brian Evans wrote:
3 >> On 1/31/2019 8:56 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
4 >>
5 >>>
6 >>> Signature requirements
7 >>> ----------------------
8 >>>
9 >>> As a final goal of this GLEP, each Gentoo developer will be required
10 >>> to have at least one signature from another Gentoo developer or from
11 >>> member of one of the partner communities present on their
12 >>> ``@gentoo.org`` UID.
13 >>
14 >> -1
15 >>
16 >> I won't be able to accomplish this as I do not travel and have no
17 >> opportunities to meet with others. Plus, it's just downright awkward.
18 >> I'm sure there are other devs in this same situation.
21 > The most commonly proposed alternative is identity verification via
22 > video chat. Would that also be unachievable for you?
23 >
24 > It would be really nice to get some measure on how many people *really*
25 > can't do it, rather than how many will oppose for the sake of opposing.
26 > It is funny how many of the people complaining today would actually
27 > quickly get the needed signature if this was required from the start.
28 >
29 I, for one, am a member of both sets: I neither reasonably could nor
30 would I if I reasonably could. In context [GLEP76], the proposed policy
31 is, by all appearances, pointless make work for the sake of buzzword bingo.
32
33 [GLEP76] https://www.gentoo.org/glep/glep-0076.html