From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2017 17:19:31
1 On 01/06/2017 11:13 AM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 > Am Freitag, 6. Januar 2017, 10:57:49 CET schrieb William L. Thomson Jr.:
3 >>
4 >>> The other side is that we can't predict worldwide legal impact, and that
5 >>> it
6 >>> may well be disadvantageous for someone in another country to officially
7 >>> be
8 >>> member of a US legal body.
9 >>
10 >> US tends to be the most free and open. Most FOSS projects with a structure
11 >> are in the US. The SPI is in the US.
12 >>
13 >> Not saying there is interest, but if Gentoo was say moved to another
14 >> country. That may further fall under export restrictions even for an open
15 >> entity. Assets would have to be transferred etc.
18 > That's not what I mean.
19 >
20 > Assume it becomes illegal in a third country to be member of a US-based
21 > foundation. What then?
22 >
23 > Also we're not only speaking about illegal versus legal here.
24 >
25 re-incorporation somewhere else? I think that is worrying about
26 something very unlikely though.
29 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)