From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items -- Council meeting 2011-12-13
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 04:18:18
1 On 12/05/11 11:52, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Sunday 04 December 2011 22:42:46 Patrick Lauer wrote:
3 >> On 12/05/11 10:49, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>> On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 9:18 PM, Patrick Lauer wrote:
5 >>>> And spend much more time trying to find them silly logfiles now that we
6 >>>> hide the output. I really enjoy having to fix yet another bad default
7 >>>> everywhere just so I see *why* things fail ...
8 >>> Unless something has changed the logfile name including full path is
9 >>> printed when there is an error. So, it is just a matter of copy/paste
10 >>> into a cat and you can watch the whole thing scroll by and even
11 >>> pretend it is compiling really fast while it is doing it. :)
12 >> So one useless step added, which might give extra funny output because
13 >> of escaped escape sequences and such funnies, with no benefit for me
14 > uhh, no. cat on the log files works perfectly fine in any sane terminal.
15 Unless the build system became extra happy ...
16 >
17 >>> It seems like a pretty sane default to assume that most packaged build
18 >>> without issues - after all, that is basically the goal, right?
19 >> And for those I don't care about the output at all, but when things fail
20 >> I want to see it.
21 > it's hard to have a conversation when you don't even verify your statements.
22 > when a build fails, it outputs the entire log. thus your statement here makes
23 > no sense at all.
24 Not all failures are errors, only errors are shown
25
26 So I'm still left wondering why things didn't go as planned, but at that
27 point the log has already been removed and I have to rebuild things
28 after remembering to change defaults ... not that this happened to me or
29 anything like that, just that it has happened to me twice now and I'm
30 getting tired of spending time on changing defaults that should be sane.
31 >
32 >> So for me the proper default is "show everything, let me ignore what I
33 >> don't want"
34 > then change your defaults
35 > -mike
36 One machine at a time I am ... one chroot at a time ...