From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: desultory <desultory@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o, "Andreas K. Hüttel" <dilfridge@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Shutting down the Off the Wall
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2020 12:45:17
1 >>>>> On Fri, 04 Dec 2020, desultory wrote:
2
3 >> Rationale:
4 >>
5 >> * provides zero value to the distribution
6 > Which has been shown to be false.
7
8 Which still leaves both a positive or negative value as possibilities.
9
10 > Given the precedent set by multiple council members, yourself
11 > included, in the discussion of this very topic on the core mailing
12 > list, the code of conduct does not apply to any medium which is not
13 > visible to the public at large. Thus, given the council decision to
14 > restrict public visibility of Off the Wall, there are definitionally
15 > no code of conduct concerns there.
16
17 Last time I checked, the forums (including OTW) were open for anyone to
18 register, which makes them public communication media. So the Code of
19 Conduct applies.
20
21 (This is quite similar to mailing lists, where you won't receive any
22 messages unless you register. Still, we consider the mailing lists to be
23 public media.)
24
25 > Then again, given how strictly council members have been adhering to
26 > the code of conduct in this public discussion, one could make the
27 > argument that the code of conduct is itself null and void. Which would
28 > again imply that there would be no call for the council to take the
29 > action you propose. Though it would further imply that there is no
30 > reason for Off the Wall to be subject to restricted access.
31
32 Non sequitur.
33
34 Ulrich