From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Date-of-birth in developer applications
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 20:48:18
1 On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 1:32 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > W dniu śro, 20.06.2018 o godzinie 10∶24 +0200, użytkownik Kristian
4 > Fiskerstrand napisał:
5 > > On 06/20/2018 10:16 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
6 > > > However, I'm not aware of any good
7 > > > justification for collecting this kind of personal information.
8 > >
9 > > Immediately I can think of two good reasons for this information, (i) as
10 > > a disambiguifier for matching names, at least across europe it is common
11 > > to refer to an individual "A born DD.MM.YYYY",
12 >
13 > Please tell me, how many times did we have to disambiguate two
14 > developers using the same name? Even if we ever have to do that, do you
15 > really think we'd use one's birthday all over the place?
16 >
17 > > (ii) verify legal age for
18 > > entering into agreements. One can argue that without further
19 > > verification of (ii) it has less value, but at least that would be a
20 > > misrepresentation so shifting the question a bit if it ever becomes an
21 > > issue with FLA/DCO etc.
22 >
23 > a. 'Legal age' may differ per country, so birth date alone is not very
24 > useful.
25 >
26 > b. There is no reason to store the full birth date if all we need is
27 > a boolean whether someone is of 'legal age'.
28 >
29 > c. We don't even have any clue what to do if someone is *not* of 'legal
30 > age'.
31
32 As a logical issue, I will point out that point a, legal age differing
33 per country, directly contradicts point b, using a simple boolean.
34
35 The fact that there are multiple countries with possible disparate
36 concepts of "legal age" preempts the usefulness of a simple boolean,
37 and in my observation actually *increases* the viability of using DOB
38 as legal age.
39
40 Quite simply, if we WERE to use a single boolean the first question
41 we'd have on our hands when answering "is this developer of legal age"
42 is first to ask "of what country?"
43 >
44 > --
45 > Best regards,