From: "Daniel Campbell (zlg)" <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] My manifesto for 2015/2016
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2015 07:25:51
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 07/11/2015 09:16 AM, William Hubbs wrote:
5 > On Sat, Jul 11, 2015 at 01:43:06AM -0700, Daniel Campbell (zlg)
6 > wrote:
7 >> On 07/10/2015 09:40 AM, William Hubbs wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>> I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "Gentoo's stack" -- can
10 >>> you elaborate a little more on this?
11 >>
12 >> Sure. By "the Gentoo stack", I'm talking primarily about the
13 >> software stack -- kernel, init, early userland, and to a lesser
14 >> extent, @system - -- that Gentoo systems generally all have in
15 >> common, that won't change without good reason. In effect, I'm
16 >> asking if you favor the current situation where people have a
17 >> pretty minimal, workable base that will bend to their needs (be
18 >> they systemd, openrc, some other init; udev, eudev, mdev, vdev,
19 >> etc), or if you'd rather see a base that is treated as mostly
20 >> immutable like many other distros are going in the direction of
21 >> (or have already settled on).
22 >
23 > I'm fine with a minimal @system set and allowing users to build
24 > their systems on top of that. In fact, the movement has been
25 > toward removing more things from the @system set at some point.
26
27 Awesome, that sounds good. Minimizing @system is a good way to keep
28 people using it when they want to customize their own system or
29 distro, and saves them the trouble of having to learn what Gentoo did
30 when crafting said package set. :)
33 >> I think a big part of why we use Gentoo is its flexibility and
34 >> insistence on *not* forcing decisions on users or developers, so
35 >> I wanted a little clarification on that in contrast to the
36 >> "keeping up with change" part of your manifesto, which I think I
37 >> agree with in spirit but would rather not see us become a distro
38 >> that just follows, but instead innovates in our own way while
39 >> still shipping mostly vanilla packages.
40 >
41 > I'm not saying anything against innovation or flexability; in my
42 > experience, Gentoo is the most flexable Linux distro out there,
43 > and I want to keep it that way.
44 >
45 > When I was brought on board in Gentoo, the idea about patches was
46 > that they are waiting to be pushed upstream. I think unless there
47 > is a very good technical reason for the patch, we should avoid
48 > custom patches we do not intend to push upstream.
49
50 +1
53 > If a patch is rejected by upstream, we should dialog with them to
54 > find out why it was rejected and clean it up on our side. If we are
55 > patching software it should be so that everyone can benefit, not
56 > just Gentoo.
57 >
58 > Being innovative doesn't mean we keep supporting legasy software
59 > when there is new software that is clearly compatible with it and
60 > legasy upstream has told everyone to switch to the new software.
61 > This was the exact debate that was going on for a while when kmod
62 > hit the tree. Some were saying that since Gentoo is about choice
63 > we should keep m-i-t in the tree and let people use it even though
64 > m-i-t upstream made it very clear that it was dead and we should
65 > move to kmod going forward.
66 >
67 > I realize that a lot of this is on a case-by-case basis, but
68 > sometimes I feel that vocal minorities use the "gentoo is about
69 > choice" mantra to try to force custom patches on our maintainers
70 > or force them to maintain old dead software or keep legasy
71 > practices working just for the sake of it.
72 >
73 > William
76 Okay, thanks for clarifying. Your stance seems to balance the
77 pragmatism (dealing with upstream and respecting their direction)
78 while continuing to follow our principles wrt flexibility. I agree
79 that there's not much reason to keep an old or deprecated package
80 unless it's still pretty stable and doesn't require much (if any)
81 maintainer time. Nethack's development is pretty slow, but it's pretty
82 stable so imo I think we're right to keep it in tree.
83
84 Thanks again for clarifying.
85 - --
86 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
87 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
88 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6