From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: rdalek1967@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Support for Seperate /usr
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2013 08:15:20
1 Dnia 2013-08-01, o godz. 22:04:36
2 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> napisał(a):
3
4 > Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > > On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 6:49 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
6 > >> The whole reason I brought this up is, according to some, the council
7 > >> did step in in April of 2012 and mandate that we must support separate
8 > >> /usr without an early boot workaround. If you read the meeting log from
9 > >> that meeting, it seems pretty clear that was chainsaw's intent.
10 > >>
11 > >> Because of that perception, if base-system decides to do something
12 > >> differently, there would definitely be flack over it.
13 > > I understand that completely. However, I'd only like to step in if
14 > > base-system actually plans to do something and is concerned about
15 > > there being flack over it. If they don't care to change anything then
16 > > no action is needed. If they plan to change things but don't care
17 > > about hearing people complain, then no action is needed. If I took
18 > > action it would only be to tell them they can do whatever they want to
19 > > as long as an initramfs still works (or whatever other workarounds
20 > > people come up with) - I'd just prefer to only step in if somebody
21 > > feels there is a need.
22 > >
23 > > Right now the only argument I'm hearing is that we need to clarify
24 > > what the policy is because the policy is unclear and lack of clear
25 > > policy bothers some people. I'm not hearing why we care about there
26 > > being a policy in the first place. If somebody just states "I'm doing
27 > > a lot of extra work because I feel like I have to, so please tell me
28 > > that I don't have to" then I'm fine with stepping in.
29 > >
30 > > Rich
34 > As a user, I to would like this clarified. I would like a clear
35 > statement as to whether a separate /usr without init* is supported or
36 > not. No tap dancing around the issue, just a clear decision or a
37 > statement as to what the prior decision was.
38
39 I agree here. Without a clear decision we can't properly tell users
40 what to do. If it's going to be not supported, we shall encourage them
41 (via a news item, likely) really much to update their computers.
42
43 This is some serious work that needs time to be done and user would
44 prefer knowing early and not whenever one of the devs decides not to
45 support it anymore. Non-booting system is not a good news, and unclear
46 policy shouldn't be an excuse for this.
49 Best regards,
50 Michał Górny