From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] GURU v2, now with reviewed layer
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2019 16:41:42
On Mon, 04 Feb 2019 18:38:51 +0100 Michał Górny wrote:
> Hello, > > After some initial discussion on the GURU user repository, I'd like to > start bike... I mean, brainstorming v2 of the idea. This time it's more > like Sunrise but with some automation in mind. > > Let's go with two layers like Sunrise -- one private working branch, > and another public that's exposed to users. Commits are merged from > private to public after some kind of review. I suppose to avoid > depgraph misshots etc. we'd want to move commits incrementally, i.e. > public is only doing fast-forward merges from dev. > > Now, reviews are normally done on commit ranges; by default, from > current state of public to current state of dev. When such a range is > reviewed, every commit belonging to it gains reputation. When a range > of commits gets reputation of 3, it is merged to public. > > Reviews can be done by devs or privileges users. Review by dev gives 3 > rep points, and by privileged user gives 1 rep point. Therefore, > a commit is merged if it's either reviewed by dev or 3 privileged users. > > > Users gain reviewing privilege also via reputation points. If a commit > range including user's commit gets merged to master, user gets 1 rep > point (independently of number of commits in the range). When user gets > 5 rep points, he can start reviewing stuff. > > Finally, besides positive approval we have option of flagging. You can > flag commits, e.g. for malicious code, vandalism, etc. If a commit is > flagged, merging it is blocked until a dev resolves the flag. > Furthermore, devs can issue bans to users responsible for the bad stuff. > > That's my idea, roughly. The main points are: > > - stuff is reviewed before publishing to users, > > - people are encouraged to review stuff, as previous unreviewed commits > are going to block their own, > > - initially reviews are done by devs but as users gain reputation, they > start being able to review ebuilds committed by others, > > - flagging gives extra protection against mistakes. > > Your updated thoughts?
How is it different from the sunrise overlay? We had very similar unreviewed/reviewed split model there. And you buried that project yourself ~2.5 years ago because it was stinking already. Furthermore such project will distort already thin resources from proxy maint and GH PR reviewers. So I see no practical point in resurrecting sunrise under another name and a slightly different policy. So please NO. Best regards, Andrew Savchenko