From: Rich Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2013-09-10
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 11:21:39
1 On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 10:09 PM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 08/29/2013 01:02 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
3 >>>>>>> On Wed, 28 Aug 2013, hasufell wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> No, it does not concern a single package only. This is about making
6 >>> a clear policy. There are more examples of packages with broken
7 >>> useflags such as app-editors/nano[debug] or other "vanilla" useflags
8 >>> for glibc and so on which are all in STABLE branch.
9 >>
10 >>> This was already discussed in #gentoo-qa and it seems there is no
11 >>> clear consensus about the issue. That's where the council has to
12 >>> make a call.
13 >>
14 >> As I said, get a resolution from QA first, before escalating to the
15 >> council. The procedure for this is clearly outlined in GLEP 48.
16 >>
17 > QA policy has always been "if it doesn't compile either fix it or mask it"
18 >
19 > I don't even see why this needs discussion.
20 >
21 > Do not expose users to breakage, OR ELSE (or else someone will fix it
22 > for you)
23
24 Agree, but if this was discussed in #gentoo-qa and there was no clear
25 consensus then I suspect that there is more to the issue than meets
26 the eye. From what was written in the bug comments this seems like a
27 no-brainer at first glance.
28
29 I think that existing policy and common sense should cover this.
30 However, if there is some nuance that needs consideration by all means
31 bring it up.
32
33 What are QA's feelings on the matter?
34
35 Rich