From: desultory <desultory@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] GLEP 76: Copyright Policy [v4]
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2018 03:16:02
1 On 09/27/18 10:13, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 9:52 AM NP-Hardass <NP-Hardass@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> But that's really besides the point... The current status quo (as is the
5 >> case with me) is that a committer may be pseudonymous under the
6 >> condition that the Foundation have that individual's name in the event
7 >> of a copyright issue. So, I still don't understand how forcing everyone
8 >> to publicly use a real name achieves something that we aren't currently
9 >> achieving... Is that incorrect?
10 >
11 > Interesting point.
12 >
13 > If we were going to go down this road I'd still suggest that the
14 > Foundation have a policy on when the real names of contributors can be
15 > disclosed, either privately or publicly. If we were to use the
16 > defense that we have a statement from a contributor that they checked
17 > the copyright and it was ok, the first question somebody will respond
18 > with is, "who?" An answer of "we know who it is but can't tell
19 > anybody, even a court" probably isn't going to work.
20 >
21 > I think there are other arguments to be made against anonymity.
22 > You're hardly a list troll, but anonymity can breed this sort of
23 > thing. From a strictly copyright standpoint I don't see why the
24 > identity of contributors needs to be publicly disclosed, as long as it
25 > can be disclosed where legally necessary. Of course, if that is a
26 > court then depending on the jurisdiction it may become public anyway.
27 > Also, if we were going to go down this route then we also need to have
28 > better archives of such things, as trying to dig up some trustee email
29 > from 10 years ago is not the right solution. A secured repository of
30 > identities/etc would be better (the Foundation already has a place to
31 > store stuff like bank account details).
32 >
33 > Another practical argument against anonymity. If everybody agrees
34 > everything is public, then we don't have any personal information we
35 > need to protect under various privacy laws. As soon as we agree to
36 > keep some info private, then we potentially have obligations under
37 > such laws. Also, legally the Foundation is a US organization - so I'm
38 > not sure if things like the US-EU Safe Harbor provisions start to
39 > apply if we want to collect this sort of info from EU citizens. It is
40 > just a can of worms you can avoid simply by not hanging onto this kind
41 > of information. I believe that many of these privacy protections
42 > cannot be simply waived - we can't get some EU citizen to agree that
43 > they don't apply to us. If the laws apply then we need to follow
44 > them. Now, we're obviously not a big fish, so enforcement may never
45 > happen. Maybe compliance isn't burdensome - I only know enough about
46 > such things to know that I'd want to know more before going down that
47 > road...
50 We should just publish all e-mail addresses (including those explicitly
51 marked to not publish), all private messages, and all IP adresses of
52 every forum, wiki, github, telegram, slack, discord, zulip, facebook,
53 google+, twitter, and reddit user that any Gentoo account has access to,
54 and a full archive of the -core list (which is expressly not public),
55 and all information stored in Gentoo's LDAP, and private wikis, and all
56 mailing list subscribers who have not actually posted to the list(s) to
57 which they are subscribed because... you think that it might be more
58 convenient for you? Are you sure that is a road that you want to go
59 down? Because that seems, to put it gently, completely insane.
60
61 Before you plead strawman, consider that your claim is that retaining
62 any private information is too problematic. Gentoo already retains
63 private information, where and as it is useful. Gentoo is not likely to
64 stop retaining such information to at least some extent, given that some
65 of it is necessary for fairly basic functions. Gentoo is not well served
66 by pointless double standards, not that anyone is.
67
68 Actively dissuading developers who would, for whatever reason, prefer to
69 use an identifier that is not their legal name seems counterproductive
70 given the apparent constant search for additional contributors.