From: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Shutting down the Off the Wall (was: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items ...)
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2020 21:23:42
1 Hi,
2
3 The topic has been discussed extensively in the past few weeks; The sad
4 climax was last Tuesday. At this point I will not look back anymore.
5 Maybe all of us could have done a better job but whataboutism doesn’t
6 help anyone. Let's try to focus on a possible solution.
7
8 To recall the problem:
9 On November 7th, Gentoo forum member "Old School" named another human
10 being a slut (https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8526392.html#8526392).
11
12 This is a violation of Gentoo's code of conduct where we explicit state
13 that "posting messages that are deliberately hostile and insulting" are
14 unacceptable behaviors
15 (https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Council/Code_of_conduct).
16
17 This is not about free speech. Gentoo is primary a Linux distribution,
18 not a discussion platform. This is about us who defined once how we want
19 to treat each other in the Gentoo community and everyone participating
20 must adhere to our code of conduct. It’s that simple.
21
22 I expect that everyone in Gentoo, including forum moderators, agree on that.
23
24 What does that mean for the forum?
25
26 From my point of view, the following things must change:
27
28 1) We must finally migrate the forum's software. The new software should
29 give us new possibilities like introducing a warning system and move to
30 a reporting system which doesn't require posting in a public forum. This
31 should make life for moderators a lot easier like nobody is expecting
32 that moderators will read every posting. But once we get aware of a code
33 of conduct violation, we must take action.
34
35 2) Moderators must of course moderate a bit more, at least for the next
36 three months until everyone in the community has understood that Gentoo
37 should be a place where everyone should feel welcome and where we pay
38 attention how we treat each other. I am expecting that not more than 20
39 people will have a problem with our rules but consistently applied rules
40 should either lead to changes in behavior or result in bans after a
41 short time.
42
43 3) We should consider starting with a new, empty, OTW forum. Some old
44 content like the screenshot or Christmas thread can (and should) of
45 course be preserved.
46
47 Like said, these are only the things which I believe have to change. I
48 am looking forward for other opinions, especially from current forums
49 moderators how they believe that the problem should be resolved.
50
51 If the situation will not change and forum remains a place where our
52 code of conduct will be ignored, we will have no choice but to close it.
53
54 Let's work together to solve the problem and keep the forum open! Don’t
55 let less than 20 people who don't share our values take our forum away
56 from us!
60 Regards,
61 Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer
62 C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature