From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: trustees@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Resignation
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2018 07:50:44
1 On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 12:34:03AM -0800, Daniel Campbell wrote:
2 > Effective today, December 16th, 2017 at 0800 UTC, I am resigning from my
3 > position as Gentoo Developer and Foundation Trustee. I joined Gentoo to
4 > gain experience and give back to the libre software community. In some
5 > ways, maybe I succeeded a little. I learned from this experience that
6 > I don't need to be a member of a distribution to contribute or advance
7 > my skills, and people will often act against their stated goals if it
8 > improves their appearance. It taught me how *not* to organize a libre
9 > software project. The few great experiences I had here at Gentoo sadly
10 > do not outweigh the negative experiences, and I'm no longer interested
11 > in beating my head against that brick wall.
12 >
13 > Here's a list of the "nothing" I've done in my Gentoo involvement:
14 >
15 > As proxy maintainer, I took on these packages to sort of "prove my
16 > worth":
17 >
18 > net-p2p/i2p
19 > net-p2p/imule
20 > x11-wm/fluxbox
21 >
22 > I knew nothing about Java -- and it probably showed -- but I was willing
23 > to learn what was necessary to get the ebuilds in better shape. This
24 > never changed throughout the 2.5 years I was a developer.
25 >
26 > pchrist, heroxbd, jlec, and zlogene mentored me and got me up to speed.
27 > I am grateful for their level of care and attention, and the effort they
28 > put in alongside me. My recruitment process was protracted due to real
29 > life, but we eventually pulled through.
30 >
31 > After I became a developer, maffblaster welcomed me to the wiki, and
32 > we even had a conversation over Mumble later on. I later took on more
33 > packages, enthusiastic to give back to a distro that I liked:
34 >
35 > app-cdr/bashburn
36 > dev-util/astyle
37 > media-sound/apulse
38 > media-video/smtube
39 > net-misc/toxic
40 > sys-apps/udevil
41 > www-servers/lighttpd
42 > x11-misc/alock
43 > x11-misc/ktsuss
44 > x11-misc/spacefm
45 >
46 > I dipped my hands into any bug I thought I could reasonably solve,
47 > and sought advice when I didn't know the correct way to do something.
48 > Sometimes this worked; sometimes I'd realize I didn't have the skill
49 > necessary, and left it to the more experienced people.
50 >
51 > Sometimes, mgorny would show up and tell me that my solution sucked or
52 > was "braindead", or that such-and-such solution was "common sense",
53 > with no explanation as to *why* it was "common sense". (this was on
54 > IRC, though [1] outlines where jcallen had to clarify what I hope
55 > mgorny intended to communicate) He didn't ever tell me what the correct
56 > solution was to any given problem that I might've messed up. To this
57 > end, his criticism served to do nothing but demotivate me. At a later
58 > point, when monsieurp and I were dealing with file collisions, he
59 > threatened to have us go through the developer quizzes again. [2] None
60 > of his criticism was helpful or encouraging. The key to good criticism
61 > is to be *constructive*, acknowledging the mistakes *AND* the successes.
62 > Without both, one's communication is morally destructive.
63 >
64 > [1]: https://bugs.gentoo.org/547524
65 > [2]: https://bugs.gentoo.org/603526#c6
66 >
67 > (careful, the comments might be deleted in response to this e-mail to
68 > save face)
69 >
70 > Later, I was nominated as Trustee by klondike. At first, I didn't think
71 > I could do the job. Maybe I should've listened to that feeling. But I
72 > felt it would be rude if I didn't accept a nomination. Nothing ventured,
73 > nothing gained, right? I didn't expect to be voted for. I had a feeling
74 > I would be laughed at and would walk away having spent the time on a
75 > manifesto for nothing. Reality is often stranger than fiction, and I
76 > found myself in a Trustee role. Given that he was only one rank below me
77 > in the election, I feel that klondike may have been a better fit for the
78 > role. I regret accepting the nomination.
79 >
80 > robbat2 mentored me on Treasurer duties, when he had the spare time. I
81 > felt bad that he was spread so thin between his other Gentoo duties,
82 > mentoring me, and being a parent. Nevertheless, I pushed forward, trying
83 > to fill the role as best I knew how to. Most of the time, I was afraid
84 > to touch anything because I understood that money was involved. I didn't
85 > want to make a mistake and cost us money. Because of that, I only ever
86 > logged into one account (Paypal), and only to gather the metadata we
87 > needed to update some records.
88 >
89 > mgorny again showed up; this time accusing me of being a "do-nothing
90 > politician". Thankfully, I kept an activity log of everything I did for
91 > the Foundation, and `git log --committer=zlg@g.o` will show you
92 > everything I did in the tree. Yes, I made mistakes. Some of them rookie
93 > ones. But given that I wasn't being paid for my work, and time spent
94 > on Gentoo meant time I couldn't spend on other things (like personal
95 > projects), I needed to make a value decision: was I willing to continue
96 > donating labor to an organization that didn't notice my work unless
97 > I screwed up? If I was truly as ineffectual as those who claimed it
98 > (rich0), what was the point of continuing? The cricitism I received
99 > during my time as a developer was demotivating and didn't acknowledge
100 > any of the *correct* things I did; how exactly was I going to improve?
101 >
102 > These questions led me to my answer: leave the organization. There is no
103 > point in continuing to try when I will only be berated for screwing up.
104 > My failures will be paraded to all while my victories go un-noticed and
105 > unappreciated. This is a losing proposition, leading nowhere. As such, I
106 > am terminating my involvement with Gentoo Linux and its Foundation.
107 >
108 > I'd like to thank everyone who helped me become a developer and trustee,
109 > and the two positive code reviews I received during my time as a
110 > developer, by Soap and floppym. They helped me understand not only
111 > *where* I messed up, but what the solution should've looked like and
112 > *why* their solutions were better. I don't think either of them really
113 > like me, but credit given where it's due.
114 >
115 > A developer will not progress or become more skilled unless they
116 > understand those key things (why, how, where). Drive-by insults and
117 > egotism will drive people away. Gentoo won't improve in this regard
118 > unless it cares enough to value what people contribute and acknowledge
119 > when people give constructive reviews. It takes effort from both "sides"
120 > of a mentorship in order to get any appreciable progress.
121 >
122 > When I reached out to members of the Gentoo community, I learned that
123 > there were a considerable number of users (of all skill levels) who,
124 > for whatever reason, did not want to go through the process of becoming
125 > a developer. This told me that there was an imbalance in the value
126 > proposition; that is, the effort spent to become a developer *appears*
127 > to be more work than what you get by making it through the process. I
128 > think this is the core of Gentoo's struggles. Gentoo will continue to
129 > suffer from manpower problems [3] until it figures out how to improve
130 > that value proposition. If higher quality recruits are desired, then
131 > a structured curriculum -- with smaller, focused tests along the way
132 > -- may be the best way to bring a recruit from "wet behind the ears"
133 > to "ready to commit on the toolchain". This process is important to
134 > Gentoo's longevity, and unless its leadership takes this social problem
135 > seriously, they will find themselves with more work and fewer people.
136 >
137 > [3]: Before any glib old-timer pipes up, recall that the Council (your
138 > leadership) just recently considered a mailing list split and discussed
139 > package maintenance (i.e. manpower) problems in the same meeting; I hope
140 > the irony is not lost on others.
141 >
142 > I expect to be laughed or jeered at by mgorny and other senior
143 > developers, but now it's Gentoo's problem, not mine. I've done what I
144 > thought I could do, and can walk away knowing that I tried. Nobody can
145 > reasonably ask for more than that.
146 >
147 > So long, and thanks for all the fish.
148 >
149 > (on the plus side, you can now type 'zl' and Tab in IRC to get zlogene
150 > instead of me :P)
151 >
152 > My Foundation activity follows.
153 >
154 > FOUNDATION ACTIVITY TRACKER
155 > FOR zlg@g.o
156 >
157 > 2017-10-08
158 > Worked with robbat2 to catch up the MoneyMarket account to match the missing
159 > statements from 2013-12 to 2015-12.
160 >
161 > 2017-10-22
162 > Edited the Foundation:Activity Tracker page with the new due date of the
163 > Treasurer's Annual Report with NM: 2018-11-15
164 >
165 > 2017-11-19
166 > robbat2 re-encrypted the banking passwords file, granting access to online
167 > accounts for me to begin converting Paypal transaction data and catch up on
168 > other financial activity.
169 >
170 > Paypal transaction information from 20170701-20171031 was imported and
171 > converted using `make all` in /paypal_raw/; commit pending
172 >
173 > Corrected Ruby call in paypal_raw/Makefile to ruby22
174 >
175 > Added a note in paypal_raw/README about requiring dev-ruby/tzinfo
176 >
177 > The meeting was postponed until Nov 26th, due to Meeting Chair's last-minute
178 > obligations and a shortage of trustees.
179 > * E-mail announcement was sent to -nfp@l.g.o
180 > * Wiki page for meeting updated
181 > * #gentoo-trustees /topic updated
182 >
183 > Convened with robbat2 on correcting the rubycsv code to include Subject: and
184 > Note: fields for matching accounts. He later fixed this on his own.
185 >
186 > 2017-11-26
187 > bug 605336; updated metadata for FOSDEM 2017 LiveDVD production reimbursement
188 >
189 > bug 591704; updated metadata for Perl Foundation donation in our loss of
190 > avenj
191 >
192 > wrote script to update foundation member OpenPGP key IDs to fingerprints,
193 > per ulm's request:
194 > https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-nfp/message/f06a3b742e06ddfcb541a822e0210e05
195 > sent to trustees@g.o for review
196 > used one-liner from robbat2 to fetch fingerprints from LDAP to x-ref
197 >
198 > bug 638036; created bug for shadowz.in request for logo/trademark licensing
199 > discussion pending
200 >
201 > 2017-11-27 to 2017-12-04
202 > worked on two more scripts to migrate and upgrade foundation list to include
203 > full fingerprints (and multiple keys)
204 > only script remaining is wikitable creator; a user indicated it would
205 > be trivial to write, using awk.
206 >
207 > EOF
208 > --
209 > Daniel Campbell
210 > OpenPGP Fingerprint: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6
211 > Found on hkp://keys.gnupg.net and other keyservers
212
213 After conversing with a few members of the community, I have decided to
214 remain as a Gentoo Developer. I understand that resignation is not to be
215 taken lightly. However, it's pointless for me to throw away my effort
216 just because others may not like what I do.
217
218 To that end, I accept the consequences of my resignation as Trustee. I
219 wish klondike the best in his new role, and hope that he is able to do
220 what I could not. I will stick around to share my notes and finish the
221 Foundation member list migration (assuming someone else hasn't beaten me
222 to it).
223
224 I'd like to apologize to the Trustees for causing an abrupt absence
225 during a time of turmoil and business (holidays and the stress they
226 entail, etc). Maybe there was a better way to go forward.
227
228 To clarify what I said wrt mgorny, I don't care that it was him who was
229 acting in the fashion that I described. If it had been anyone else, I'd
230 have felt the same way. I could have phrased things more clearly; I 100%
231 stand by my commentary regarding the behavior, as that is what I was
232 targeting.
233
234 As for developership, I don't expect any special treatment, like giving
235 "my" packages back or anything of the sort. I'm going devaway for at
236 least one month to reconsider my efforts and refocus.
237
238 If this is unacceptable, I understand and can live with the consequences
239 of my prior decision.
240 --
241 Daniel Campbell
242 OpenPGP Fingerprint: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6
243 Found on hkp://keys.gnupg.net and other keyservers