From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2018-04-08
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 22:00:42
1 Am Donnerstag, 29. März 2018, 15:34:05 CEST schrieb Michał Górny:
2 >
3 > 1. Does deprecation really mean anything in terms of profiles? Even
4 > in the context of EAPI bans we explicitly stated that it affects new
5 > packages and EAPI bumps. I think deprecating it for ebuilds is still
6 > meaningful even if profiles would stay EAPI 5.
7
8 If we state that we deprecate *ebuilds* then it doesnt affect profiles.
9 So it just depends on the wording.
10
11 Having an EAPI deprecated for part of its impact is kinda messy though.
14 > 2. Do we want to keep profiles EAPI 5 indefinitely? If we consider it
15 > a goal to reduce the number of EAPIs in use, I think it would be
16 > reasonable to bump profiles to EAPI 6 proactively, even if it doesn't
17 > change anything.
18
19 We can bump them, but very slowly... and best at release-like steps like 13.0
20 -> 17.0.
21
22 If your portage doesn't understand some ebuilds, that's kinda half-safe for a
23 transition time (it just won't see the updates).
24 If your portage doesn't understand your profile, that makes things explode
25 much more efficiently.
28 Andreas K. Hüttel
29 dilfridge@g.o
30 Gentoo Linux developer
31 (council, toolchain, perl, libreoffice, comrel)