From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] [LONG] Re: EAPI-2 and src_configure in eclasses
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 01:07:09
1 *Sigh* Guess it's that time of year again..
2
3 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 >> > The whole point of PMS is that it provides a way to avoid relying
6 >> > upon implementation specific things. There are currently no
7 >> > packages that rely upon calling phase functions in the wrong place
8 >>
9 >> It wasn't about calling it in the wrong place, it was about how you
10 >> test for whether the ebuild+eclasses provide a function, or use a
11 >> phase.
12 >
13 > The two issues are the same.
14 >
15 You mean the three? They all boil down to whether a function is declared,
16 yes. Have a cookie: you'll need it.
17
18 >> > and there are
19 >> > good reasons a package manager might want to avoid implementing
20 >> > things in a way such that doing so is legal, so we don't allow it.
21 >>
22 >> Sure let's keep constraining what the bash side of things can do, as
23 >> that's nothing to do with the package manager implementation.
24 >
25 > There are lots of constraints on what the bash side can do that are
26 > for package manager implementation sanity reasons. The whole
27 > constant cache requirement thing, for example, is purely a side effect
28 > of how package managers work.
29 >
30 Yes and it's well understood and has been discussed on the list. This
31 hasn't, to my knowledge, yet everytime something which has /not/ been
32 discussed is brought up, you rear up spouting on about vague hints of doom
33 to do with portage, irrespective of how many Gentoo systems it's built and
34 maintains. You obfuscate and spam the list with 15 mails instead of simply
35 explaining in one go. Finally when someone pleads for sanity, you might
36 turn around and explain wtf you're on about, and half the time it's
37 rubbish; only everyone who can argue the point has got too tired of the
38 thread, already has you in a killfile, or already gave up on the list or
39 Gentoo because of you, and the shitstorm you generate.
40
41 >> > Also, I don't think it has to be done at that point. I think it's
42 >> > convenient to do it at that point, and when combined with several
43 >> > other reasons doing it that way is the best option.
44 >> >
45 >> Yes, a mystery wrapped in an enigma wrapped in pure bullsh^W
46 >> obfuscation is always such fun.
47 >
48 > We were discussing your trollish claim that I thought that things had to
49 > be done a particular way.
50
51 No you were; you keep making things much more personal than they need to be.
52 I was discussing how and when that metadata is generated. As Harring
53 pointed out, pkgcore does it at a _different_ point in time.
54
55 IIRC weren't you the guy who deliberately took a troll as your avatar in
56 order to flagrantly ban-evade and troll the forums a while back? Since
57 we're discussing personality; at face sight it seems hypocritical, but then
58 you always have been quick to call others on behaviour you enjoy using,
59 even when it's not actually happening. Guess you must be a l337 uber-troll
60 or sth.. that's true trolling, to play the rules against everyone and cause
61 as much confusion as possible. Much better than simply being a dicq and
62 getting kicked out. Oh, wait..
63
64 > It is of course highly obvious that there are
65 > several ways of achieving the desired result, and highly obvious that
66 > there are a whole bunch of factors affecting which one works best.
67 >
68 Yes, but it's not something we can discuss, I know, because I am 'obviously'
69 too stupid to understand.
70
71 > As it happens, all three package managers picked different solutions,
72 > all based upon extremely obscure internals issues.
73
74 I read that as "stuff I don't really understand." No doubt you'll elucidate
75 over the next 20 mails or so.. I'll get back to you then.
76
77 > Which brings me back
78 > to my original point -- mandating a particular behaviour to enable some
79 > horrible ebuild hackery that doesn't even do what people want would be
80 > a very silly decision.
81 >
82 You mean the hackery one might use to detect whether a phase is needed?
83
84 >> > Strange how you repeatedly seem to pop up in favour of doing
85 >> > whatever you think will cause most inconvenience to Paludis,
86 >> > though...
87 >> >
88 >> Strange how you think you can read my mind.. I actually think that not
89 >> providing functions an ebuild might call in a phase, during the actual
90 >> install, is not such a good way for the mangler to ascertain ahead of
91 >> time whether or not that phase will be needed, *irrespective* of how
92 >> any extant implementation does it.
93 >
94 > Your premise is faulty. Ebuilds may not call phase functions, and
95 > never do.
96 >
97 Hehe. You're good at that trick: you know full well I don't mean the .ebuild
98
99 >> I actually hesitated to get into that discussion with you. I did so
100 >> as I wanted to query the design decision. You know, a technical
101 >> _discussion_.. Thanks for reminding me again how incapable of that
102 >> you are, unless you think there is some political capital to be
103 >> gained.
104 >
105 > If you want a technical discussion, post using your other account with
106 > your real name on it, not your sockpuppet. It's a bit hard to take you
107 > seriously when you maintain two personas, one for real development and
108 > an alterego for Pkgcore fanboyism / Paludis bashing.
109 >
110 Hmm how can I illustrate this wider point to you?
111
112 Ciaran: it's clear everytime the new academic year starts, your post count
113 ramps right up and pisses everyone off. I do hope that this year, what with
114 your leaving University and having to be taken under your Dad's wing due to
115 your mental illness, you don't go overboard and take out even more of your
116 frustration on the rest of us.
117
118 Is any of that true? Does it matter? What does any of it have to do with
119 software development? Would you like a full CV, passport and biometric data
120 from everyone who posts? Who are you to impose that condition?
121
122 You weaseled out of signing the copyright transfer and continue to wave it
123 in everyone's face at the slightest opportunity. Excuse me for not being
124 bowled-over.
125
126 BTW: stop telling me what to do: I'm mighty bored of it; your pronouncements
127 only sound dramatic in your own head: no-one else really cares that much.
128 *You* certainly don't get to impose /any/ conditions on me; you can only
129 _ask_ the moderators that I be held to a certain standard of behaviour,
130 taking into account the cultural norms, and the context.
131
132 I look forward to the userrel bug. Mind if I get on with software now?
137 Oh well, tough.
138
139 The bit that really gets me is you think I'm a pkgcore fanboi; portage all
140 the way, twat.
141
142 Steven James Long: nobody's puppet, least of all /that/ troll's.