From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: Making GLSAs useful for security
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2016 01:14:12
1 On 16/12/16 14:33, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 9:04 AM, Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On 12/16/2016 02:57 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 >>> On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 13:25:14 +0100
5 >>> Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> Perhaps it's time to realise that security bugs aren't that
8 >>> interesting, and that random data loss bugs and just plain missing
9 >>> features can be far more impactful in practice than some obscure
10 >>> security issue. All treating security bugs specially does is play into
11 >>> the "look at me, I'm important so you should pay me money or I'll put
12 >>> out another press release" drama certain consulting companies have set
13 >>> up. Broken code is broken whether or not the bug has been given a cute
14 >>> name and logo.
15 >>>
16 >> Exactly, a security vulnerability originally being an info leak or a low
17 >> probability risk that turns out to a denial of service on a stable
18 >> system due to lack of proper stabilization is a good argument for the
19 >> way things are today.
20 >>
21 > We already have different risk tiers for security issues depending on impact:
22 > https://www.gentoo.org/support/security/vulnerability-treatment-policy.html
23 >
24 > That is why I suggested sending out the notice once the fix is
25 > available, or at the expiration of the target delay. For a
26 > trivial-class issue that would mean that a notice would only be sent
27 > out without a fix if it took over 40 days to resolve the problem.
28 >
29 > GLSAs are also marked with their severity/etc, so admins can use this
30 > information to make an informed decision about the risks of deploying
31 > an update out of cycle, or waiting for their normal testing cycle.
32 >
33 > Now, if we don't think that security is that important, then fine,
34 > let's at least update the security policy to make it clear to our
35 > users that we just treat remote network-only root code execution
36 > exploits the same as the latest vlc bump. Then our users will know
37 > that they aren't actually protected and will take additional measures
38 > if they feel it is necessary.
39 >
40 > What I don't like is a public security policy that says we do xyz
41 > within n days, and in reality we don't really do that and we take a
42 > lot longer to do it. That is giving users a false sense of security.
43 >
44 > Now, I get that upstream doesn't always release information on
45 > vulnerabilities, or even know about them. Sure, if you're trying to
46 > run the NSA you probably shouldn't solely rely on your distro's
47 > security update mechanism. People who REALLY care are going to
48 > subscribe to various services/etc to get intel on issues, or even do
49 > their own in-house research (if you're a major nation state).
50 >
51 > However, deploying fixes to known vulnerabilities just seems like a
52 > good practice.
53 >
54 > In any case, fixing the security policy to match reality costs
55 > nothing, and actually following it on the major archs shouldn't cost
56 > THAT much.
57 >
58 Picking a rather random post to chip in on, but here we go with my
59 thoughts...
60
61 How about once we identify a [triaged] security issue, it gets assigned
62 a GLSA there and then, and a templated email gets sent out to notify
63 users of the vulnerability and the priority assigned to it internally.
64 You could also tag a bugzilla reference, for users to track progress in
65 between identification and resolution. Then, you should be able to meet
66 your published policy by pushing out some information to users, and
67 especially sysadmins, so they are informed, and can choose for
68 themselves what actions they feel appropriate to take in the first
69 instance (eg. mitigation until resolution is found).
70
71 Then, post a 'FIXED' message referencing again the GLSA and bug ref. to
72 indicate the 'preferred' resolution, any appropriate package updates,
73 etc. once this has been tested/stabilised/etc. to allow for manpower
74 issues and anything else that could be considered 'beyond reasonable
75 control' from the Gentoo angle. Yes, so you get double the "spam", but
76 since security issues are relatively infrequent (vs. -dev bikeshedding,
77 etc) I don't honestly think that the burden of early vs. late
78 notification against extra email messages to be kept informed would be a
79 problem for most people appropriately concerned.