From: desultory <desultory@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: Shutting down the Off the Wall
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2020 05:14:33
1 On 12/01/20 12:31, Aaron Bauman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Dec 01, 2020 at 08:16:16AM -0800, Alec Warner wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 6:58 AM Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 10:07:53PM -0800, Alec Warner wrote:
6 >> It's my (subjective) belief that a good faith discussion with forum-mods
7 >> My point is more like "this belief that everyone dislikes OTW" is poorly
8 >> measured and poorly falsifiable. This point was also made on -core where it
9 >> was suggested to have a better basis for the decision to avoid
10 >> flip-flopping. If you end up with a rational basis then different people
11 >> can examine the situation and draw the same conclusions.
12 >>
13 >> Is the CoC a rational basis? I mean there is definitely subjectivity to it,
14 >> but I think it's clearly more of a shared belief than "I think X is toxic"
15 >> and there are fairly clear guidelines in the CoC today (and we could add
16 >> more.) We could ask questions like (quoting the CoC's unacceptable behavior
17 >> here):
18 >> Does this activity happen on OTW?
19 >>
20 >> Yeah I don't want to live in a world where I have to "do gentoo" in every
21 >> channel all the time. You and I have had numerous discussions of non-gentoo
22 >> topics on IRC, but I don't see anyone advocating for deleting IRC as a
23 >> medium. People talk about offtopic stuff. It's a thing that will happen and
24 >> will continue to happen..basically forever. So this policy where we must
25 >> only allow Gentoo topics is...I think it's a bit inane.
28 > The reasoning is simply based on the fact that it is a hosted forum.
29 > Paid for by others who donate to us in good faith to support the
30 > distribution. If this entails such discussions as seen in OTW... I would
31 > be highly surprised. So, the question is quite a rhetorical one.
32 >
33 So, your opinion is that we should not use resources donated for a
34 specific purpose (hosting the forums) for that purpose, but we are free
35 to use resources donated to other entities for purposes entirely
36 disjoint from producing, maintaining, and supporting an operating system
37 (toolkit) because the resources that were donated to the entities that
38 are providing services to us are paid for by others? And you consider
39 that to be logically consistent? Even aside from the fact that the
40 hosting would be donated to the Gentoo Foundation, thus if the question
41 actually was one of suitable use of donated resources, the council is
42 not even the right body to be considering removing Off the Wall.
43
44 >> It's a question of scope. Are we deleting "OTW" or "OTW and polish OTW."
47 > Is that what it is? I don't read/speak Polish.
48 >
49 >>>
50 >> I'm refuting an argument. The argument is that the OTW forum has 0 value.
51 >> I'm suggesting the value is non-zero.
54 > Sure, but you are refuting it by stating that OTW does play a role and
55 > that role is to house all the things that don't belong.
56 >
57 Thereby making the forums, as a whole, distinctly less prone to
58 misappropriation than other channels of communication used by Gentoo,
59 whether hosted on systems managed by the infra team or donated to other
60 entities entirely.
63 >>>
64 >>> Maybe our donors are objective too, but I doubt they would be happy with
65 >>> such a situation.
66 >>>
67 >>
68 >> Again though, is this a real argument or a boogeyman argument? "Our donors
69 >> might be unhappy with X, so you should stop doing X."
70 >> So I'd ask...are our donors unhappy? If they are, then sure, we can take
71 >> action! But I suspect the answer is "we have no idea what they think about
72 >> the forums, or OTW" and so again, it's not a great basis for action.
75 > If you want to attempt quantifying the matter go for it. It is mostly a
76 > rhetorical question. If you cannot rationalize this on your own there is
77 > a larger concern.
78 >
79 Is your opinion really so self evident that it warrants impugning anyone
80 who so much as asks you to clearly state it? Even if it was, carrying
81 through with such retorts would still be against the code of conduct.
82
83 > Let's use an example here... if I donate to "Alec for President"
84 > and you go spend all my donations on ice cream. I may be a little angry,
85 > no? This is not the "good faith" I would be assuming by donating. I
86 > don't think we need to attempt to quantify this. Any amount spent
87 > or donated resource used is wrong.
88 >
89 Is our rhetorical "you" offended that campaigns provide food for their
90 volunteers, which is not necessarily of the most stringent dietary
91 value? Does our rhetorical "you" know that donuts and other assorted
92 "junk food" is typical fare for campaign staff? Would our rhetorical
93 "you" still be upset if they then found out that Alec for President
94 hosted a fundraiser in the form of an ice cream social, thereby
95 multiplying the value to the campaign of the funds which "you" had donated?
96
97 > There is a purpose to my donations which is to support the distro. Not make a
98 > cozy forum for people to rant/rave on about Hitler, politics, and conspiracy
99 > theories. It is antithetical.
100 >
101 By that argument, are we to now close the project list now that you have
102 proceeded to "rant/rave on about Hitler, politics, and conspiracy theories"?
103
104 > I suppose your next suggestion would be a document stating what donations
105 > should/could/would be used for?
106 >
107 Would it not be more productive, and less confrontational (again,
108 counter to the code of conduct which you claim to be supporting), to ask
109 instead of assembling a straw man?