From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council nominee 2018/19 questions
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2018 15:03:42
1 On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 10:25:07AM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Three more questions from me:
5 > 1. Do you believe that Council members should respect the requests of
6 > the developer community even if they disagree with them? Or should
7 > Council members decide based on their own judgment of arguments
8 > presented?
9 >
10 > Example: there's a heated debate, and the majority of respondents
11 > request that X is implemented. However, after reading all the arguments
12 > you don't think that X is a good idea but you haven't managed to
13 > convince others. Would you vote for X (as your electorate demands)
14 > or against it (as you believe is better for the distro)?
15
16 In my experience, most of the time, things are not as clear-cut as
17 this; there can be many things to consider.
18
19 For example, suppose that the people demanding x are not part of the
20 team that maintains the packages that would make x happen, and suppose
21 that making x happen requires custom patches which get rejected by
22 upstream developers. In this case, is it really better to force
23 maintainers to do custom work or vote against x?
24
25 I think this type of decision should be made on a case-by-case basis.
26
27 > 2. Do you believe that the Council should proactively research the state
28 > of affairs and make decisions whenever they believe the direction
29 > of the distribution needs to be adjusted? Or should it be passive
30 > and avoid involvement unless developers explicitly request Council's
31 > intervention?
32
33 I feel that most of the time the council should intervene only at the
34 request of developers. The developers know their packages better than
35 we do, and I think we should trust them. Innovation tends to come from
36 the developers, not the council.
37
38 > 3. Do you believe the developer community should hold the power
39 > to veto or dissolve the Council at any point? Provided there's a global
40 > developer vote agreeing on that.
41
42 Yes, the developers already have the ability to disband the council if
43 they want to do this. They could replace glep 39 at any point.
44
45 Also, I am not opposed to the idea of a general resolution.
46
47 William