From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, antarus@g.o
Cc: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: Dropping rsync as a tree distribution method
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2018 06:52:42
1 s/on/for
2
3 On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 10:50 PM Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > I filed a bug on this suggestion myself recently, here:
6 >
7 > https://bugs.gentoo.org/671174
8 >
9 > The commentary there from the others may prove useful in this conversation.
10 >
11 > On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 9:18 PM Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
15 > > On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 12:13 AM Georgy Yakovlev <gyakovlev@g.o> wrote:
16 > >>
17 > >> On Saturday, December 15, 2018 8:40:38 PM PST Matt Turner wrote:
18 > >> > On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 11:16 PM Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
19 > >> > > - Disk usage for git vs rsync
20 > >> >
21 > >> > This is why I have not switched. With git you pull down increasing
22 > >> > amounts of history, whereas with rsync the data fits easily in a <1GB
23 > >> > partition.
24 > >>
25 > >> Recent portage can use sync-depth = 1
26 > >> repo dir no longer grows as it used to and it's works fine unlike initial
27 > >> implementation that was giving trouble
28 > >>
29 > >> https://bugs.gentoo.org/552814
30 > >>
31 > >> du -hs /var/db/repos/gentoo
32 > >> 350M /var/db/repos/gentoo
33 > >>
34 > >> example /etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo.conf :
35 > >> [DEFAULT]
36 > >> main-repo = gentoo
37 > >>
38 > >> [gentoo]
39 > >> auto-sync = yes
40 > >> location = /var/db/repos/gentoo
41 > >> sync-type = git
42 > >> sync-uri = https://github.com/gentoo-mirror/gentoo.git
43 > >> sync-depth = 1
44 > >> sync-git-clone-extra-opts = -b master
45 > >> sync-git-verify-commit-signature = true
46 > >>
47 > >>
48 > >> sync is almost instantaneous compared to rsync, but some folks not going to
49 > >> like github as a mirror in this case.
52 > > I don't plan on using github for the mirror, so I'm not overly worried about that portion.
53 > >
54 > > +Zac Medico
55 > >
56 > > My recollection was that git doesn't ship with ebuild metadata by default, so even if we make the first sync fast (by using depth=1 in the clone) do we have a good story for ebuild metadata? Is portage just faster than in the past for ebuilds with missing metadata? Does emerge --sync handle metadata regen for syncs with git origins?
57 > >
58 > > -A
59 > >
60 > >>