From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: Anna <cyber+gentoo@×××××.in>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Encourage donations to Gentoo developers
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 17:59:22
1 On Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 2:36 PM Maciej Barć <xgqt@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi Anna!
4 >
5 > Gentoo Foundation should take care of this problem. The issue of funding
6 > Gentoo developers was here for years but nobody stepped up to refine the
7 > funding policy.
8
9 For context, I'm President, Gentoo Foundation (since 2019.)
10
11 > I've also heard that GF will never touch this because it is against the
12 > foundation's laws, "because Gentoo cannot pay itself"... shrug.
13 > Hopefully somebody will correct me on this, because I wish that GF could
14 > found at least (non-remote) hardware for development usage.
15
16 Perhaps this was the previous stance of the Foundation board, but has
17 not been the case since I have been president. I ask at least once a
18 year for people to file requests for us to spend money and besides
19 specific programs (infra, hosting, nitrokeys) we continue to accrue
20 cash in the bank and receive no proposals to spend it.
23 > > I thought that it could be nice if users could easily discover how to
24 > > pay donations to Gentoo developers and package maintainers.
25 >
26 > That is rather easy, see: "https://www.gentoo.org/donate/", my question
27 > is to whom does this money go to?
28
29 The money goes to the Gentoo Foundation, a New Mexico corporation run
30 by 5 elected developers. We publish accounting books once a year (our
31 Fiscal Year 2022 draft numbers are at
32 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Foundation:Gentoo_Foundation_Finances_FY2022)
33
34 Note the Foundation is trying to dissolve itself; at which point it
35 will be replaced by an OpenCollective fundraising campaign; operated
36 by OpenCollective (a holding corporation) run for the Gentoo Community
37 and administered by the Gentoo Council (in the current plan.)
38 Foundation expenditures that support development (e.g. not [taxes,
39 accounting, mailbox, fees, etc.]) already get reviewed by the Gentoo
40 Council regularly.
41
42 https://projects.gentoo.org/council/meeting-logs/20220213.txt (to buy
43 2 new servers.)
44 https://projects.gentoo.org/council/meeting-logs/20220313.txt (updated
45 quote for 2 servers, we eventually bought this.)
46 https://projects.gentoo.org/council/meeting-logs/20220508.txt
47 (reimbursement for SSDs I bought to sustain existing infrastructure.)
48
49 You should expect any proposal to go to the council, and the councils
50 vote is required to disperse money from the Foundation. Eventually the
51 Foundation will go away (replaced by OpenCollective) and the council
52 will have the same control over the funds.
55 > Another way is to check out developers' wiki pages, some of them put eg
56 > Paypal info there.
57
58 I encourage developers to build their own brand (perhaps professional,
59 or perhaps volunteer oriented.) We also have a consultants page:
60 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Foundation:Consultants that we list
61 people you may want to hire if you need Gentoo work done.