From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] New project: GURU [Gentoo User Repository, Unreviewed]
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2019 13:48:37
1 On Mon, 04 Feb 2019 14:28:28 +0100
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, 2019-02-04 at 11:58 +0100, Alexis Ballier wrote:
5 > > On Sun, 03 Feb 2019 20:28:49 +0100
6 > > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > ---
9 > > > What do you think?
10 > > >
11 > >
12 > > What is the difference with sunrise ?
13 >
14 > The difference, as noted in the mail, is that it doesn't rely
15 > on developers having time to review ebuilds. Therefore, it is less
16 > likely to die because of developers lacking time to review stuff.
19 Then I fear you will see the same pitfalls, and it already started: I
20 recall sunrise haters being very strongly against the idea because,
21 TBH, our sandboxing mechanism isn't a real sandbox. It may have
22 improved, but I doubt it's up to the point that we can safely run
23 untrusted code there.
27 > > One of the advantages of sunrise is that it had 2 repos: One
28 > > unreviewed, without Gentoo official name and big fat warnings, one
29 > > reviewed by devs more widely available.
30 >
31 > No.
32 >
33 > First of all, they weren't really two repos -- they were more like
34 > private and public branches which were made into two repos due to
35 > technical limitations. With the public branch getting all the commits
36 > from private branch merged.
39 Yeah, that's the same idea but modernized.
42 > Secondly, both branches were reviewed. The difference is that people
43 > were supposed to ask for (IRC) review before committing to the first
44 > branch, and only developers were allowed to merge to the second
45 > branch.
46
47 That's also the same idea to me.
48
49 > Thirdly, I have no clue what 'Gentoo official name' is in this
50 > contexts and I certainly don't recall big fat warnings. The only
51 > difference was that the public repo was advertised publicly while the
52 > former was intended for development.
53
54 It was officially strongly discouraged to use the non dev-merged
55 branch. That is what I would call a big fat warning.
59 Don't get me wrong: I like the idea. Just making sure not to repeat past
60 mistakes.