From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] New Overlays project guide
Date: Thu, 05 May 2016 11:06:32
1 Dnia 5 maja 2016 11:16:19 CEST, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> napisał(a):
2 >On 05/02/2016 02:22 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
3 >> Hello, everyone.
4 >>
5 >> The documentation of Overlays project [1,2,3] is in pretty bad shape
6 >> right now. Aside to being outdated, I find the current form not very
7 >> readable or focused. The large number of short sections makes reading
8 >> harder, and a lot of information is either useless or goes outside
9 >> the scope of project documentation.
10 >>
11 >> For this reason, I would like to replace the documentation with a
12 >new,
13 >> short guide I've written [4]. The goal would be to make it a 'how
14 >> to...' form of guide focused on Gentoo Overlays project-specific
15 >> topics. Right now it covers requesting repositories and reporting
16 >bugs
17 >> on them. Additional topics can be added if necessary.
18 >>
19 >> I would like to explicitly avoid including documentation belonging
20 >> elsewhere such as layman user guides, partial ebuild development
21 >guides
22 >> or VCS guides.
23 >>
24 >> What do you think?
25 >>
26 >> [1]:https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Overlays/Policy
27 >> [2]:https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Overlays/Dev_Guide
28 >> [3]:https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Overlays/User_Guide
29 >> [4]:https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Overlays/New_overlays_guide
32 >This sounds like a great initiative! I think a lot of users sort of
33 >understand the idea of overlays, but don't always realize that they can
34 >start one of their own or help out those that maintain one. Gentoo is
35 >primarily about choice and giving power to the user, so bringing this
37 >the forefront is great!
38 >
39 >Small nitpicks I have, however:
40 >
41 >* In [1] under 'Types of overlay', it's mentioned that there are two
42 >types of overlay, and yet four bullets are present. We devs will
43 >probably glean the difference, but an average user may not understand
44 >the difference. Perhaps some "and" or "or"s are in order here.
45 >
46 >* Again in [1], the metastructure document should probably be linked to
47 >in the wiki. I'm a developer and don't know where this is. (of course,
48 >I'm expected to do some searching so it's not a big deal to me
49 >personally, but I'm approaching this with the mindset of a user)
50 >
51 >Otherwise I think your efforts look great so far. Keep it up. :)
52
53 1-3 are the docs I'd like to remove.
56 >[5]: https://github.com/gentoo-mirror/gamerlay/pull/1
60 Best regards,