From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] pre-GLEP: Gentoo OpenPGP web of trust
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2019 20:46:47
On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 12:27 PM Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
> > On 2/1/19 3:53 PM, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote: > > Notes > > [N1] Infra is in a special role here, but so are a lot of other projects > > like comrel just to name another. > > One alternative is of course to start gradually, and only require WoT > for certain roles; offhand I can think of; Infra, Comrel, Security, > Trustees and Council.
Do we really want to tell developers they're not allowed to vote for a particular candidate for Council because that candidate didn't prove their identity? IMO developers should be as free as possible to elect whatever representatives they prefer. Remember, Council members aren't just some kind of "privileged elite." They are also the way ordinary developers can exercise control over all the other people who would otherwise be the "privileged elite" in the absence of some kind of democratic representation. I could see more of an argument for some of the other roles on the list. -- Rich