From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting 2021-07-11 - call for agenda items
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2021 13:41:40
1 On Tue, 2021-07-06 at 21:59 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 5, 2021 at 5:20 AM Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > The agenda is still open for additional items that the council should
5 > > discuss or vote on. For agenda items, please respond to this message
6 > > on the gentoo-project mailing list.
9 > Short version of request: can action be taken to re-align IRC nicks
10 > with Gentoo uids? (Those with common sense should stop reading here.)
13 While I applaud the goal, I don't think this is something we can really
14 do. I mean, yes, we can politely ask people to make themselves easier
15 to find but that's about it.
16
17 Forcing people to use specific nicknames on IRC and trying to put it
18 into some bureaucratic ramifications sounds like aiming at a dystopian
19 Gentoo to me. Even if the goal is clearly beneficial to Gentoo users,
20 it's just not something I would pursue.
21
22 Furthermore, how do people who don't use IRC at all fit into it? If IRC
23 is not obligatory (and while I really prefer to be able to reach other
24 devs on IRC, I don't think we should make it obligatory), then IMO
25 the proposal is moot.
28 Best regards,
29 Michał Górny