From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2018-07-29
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 20:24:20
1 >>>>> On Fri, 13 Jul 2018, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 3:20 PM Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
4 >> Why the "gentoo" path component? That's not a package, and therefore
5 >> not compliant with the FHS. (Or even worse, it actually _is_ a
6 >> package, namely app-misc/gentoo.)
7
8 > From FHS:
9 > /var/lib/<name> is the location that must be used for all distribution
10 > packaging support. Different distributions may use different names, of
11 > course.
12
13 > p34: https://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs-3.0.pdf
14
15 It doesn't say that <name> must be the name of the distro, and I don't
16 remember having seen either of /var/lib/{debian,redhat,suse}. We can
17 use "repos" or whatever we like there.
18
19 >> Here we're at 5 path components again. I will likely vote against any
20 >> proposal that would put the tree such deep in the hierarchy. And the
21 >> double "gentoo" adds some extra ugliness.
22
23 > Well, /var/lib/<something> is 3 right there. If 5 is no good then you
24 > only have one left. We could just make it /var/lib/repos which seems
25 > non-compliant.
26
27 FHS 3.0 says: "An application (or a group of inter-related
28 applications) must use a subdirectory of /var/lib for its data".
29 Certainly /var/lib/repos is a subdirectory of /var/lib? So why would
30 it be non-compliant? And if it was, do we care about non-compliance at
31 the third directory level? The important part is that we move it out
32 of /usr, and IMHO we should care to get the /var/{lib,cache,db} part
33 somewhat right.
34
35 Ulrich