From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o, council@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Request for council vote - package.use.stable.mask and package.use.stable.force
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 09:02:20
1 Dear Gentoo council,
2
3 I would like to bring up for your next meeting agenda a vote on the adoption
4 of the following feature in EAPI 5: "Support package.use.stable.mask and
5 package.use.stable.force files in profile dirs that restrict the use flag
6 combinations only for stable packages".
7
8 Why? This would allow switching off features that are know to be still
9 problematic, while keeping the ebuild unchanged. Also, it would allow
10 conditional dependencies on non-stable packages that automatically "go away on
11 stabilization" (e.g., cups systemd support).
12
13 * This has been discussed on the gentoo-dev mailing list, with an overall
14 positive response and some good ideas on the exact semantics, see thread [1].
15
16 * I have posted two patches for PMS, describing the feature and then
17 restricting its usage to EAPI 5, see thread [2]. Short of rewriting all of
18 PMS, I've implemented all that was asked from me there.
19
20 * As for a reference implementation, Zac's comment basically was that it's not
21 too hard to do, and I'm hoping for his support.
22
23 Please restrict any follow-up *technical* discussion to gentoo-dev.
24
25 Cheers,
26 Andreas
29 [1] http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-
30 dev/msg_53f32ab76ba5861d655436b0927e6956.xml
31
32 [2] http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-
33 pms/msg_8e5045bdb9761409a1a8a65ac2757c38.xml
38 Andreas K. Huettel
39 Gentoo Linux developer
40 dilfridge@g.o
41 http://www.akhuettel.de/