From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: rich0@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Questions for Candidates (was: Questioning/Interviewing council nominees)
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 22:12:30
1 Rich,
2
3 I think you missed a lot of points I was making.
4
5 On Mon, Jul 01, 2013 at 03:21:25PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
6 > On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 3:08 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
7 > > On Mon, Jul 01, 2013 at 08:37:57PM +0200, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
8 > >> hasufell schrieb:
9 > >> >> They can each have their own ebuild in portage. I do not think that overlays
10 > >> >> are the solution here.
11 > >> >
12 > >> > That idea is so bad I hope we will never see it happen.
13 > >>
14 > >> That's what GLEP 39 explictly allows.
15 > >
16 > > I have to agree on this point. glep 39 allows, and should allow
17 > > competing projects.
18 >
19 > GLEP 39 ALLOWS me to make a competing apache ebuild, or a competing
20 > amd64 arch. It doesn't FORCE me to do so.
21 >
22 > If all I want to do is introduce some optional feature distro-wide
23 > that doesn't impact anybody who doesn't want to use it (aside from
24 > trivial numbers of inodes), then I shouldn't HAVE to fork every
25 > package in the tree to do it.
26
27 I am agreeing with you on this. I never said that glep 39 forces you to
28 do anything.
29
30 > I'm a developer because I'm also a user. Nobody pays me to work on
31 > ebuilds - I'm scratching my itch. Nobody is asking maintainers to
32 > scratch somebody else's itch - they just have to stay out of the way
33 > when somebody else chooses to do so.
34
35 Agreed; this is all about cooperation instead of being territorial.
36
37 > > By the nature of being a source based distribution, we can offer a
38 > > uniform user experience without being a poor copy of any binary
39 > > distribution, and that uniform user experience could be far more
40 > > flexable than any binary distribution.
41 >
42 > Absolutely, but that flexibility depends on a certain amount of
43 > standardization.
44
45 I'm not contesting this. Honestly I'n not quite sure how to respond to
46 anything else in this message because I agree with you as I said in my
47 manifesto. I feel like maintainers should cooperate with other
48 projects/teams/developers.
49 William