From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2016-04-10
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2016 20:32:27
1 >>>>> On Sun, 3 Apr 2016, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > What project (if any) is officially responsible for the creation or
4 > non-creation of Changelogs in the rsync mirrors? Do they have an
5 > opinion on this matter? Would they prefer that the Council make a
6 > decision?
7
8 > I bring this up because this seems like the sort of thing the
9 > Council typically doesn't interfere with.
10
11 This concerns the Portage tree as a whole, as it is seen by a large
12 fraction of users. Therefore I think it is a global issue, which is
13 genuine council territory. Also the council has discussed this topic
14 previously, most recently in the 20141014 and 20151108 meetings.
15
16 From the 20141014 meeting summary:
17
18 "do we need to continue to create new ChangeLog entries once we're
19 operating in git?"
20 No: blueness, creffett (proxy for ulm), dberkholz, dilfridge,
21 radhermit, rich0, williamh
22
23 Furthermore, quoting robbat2's message from March 2nd:
24
25 | Either way, ~60% are in favour of getting rid of changelogs.
26
27 | IMO this is a BETTER goal than continuing to generate them for
28 | rsync, and bike-shedding about what the order should be; and it
29 | provides a huge benefit by reducing the size of rsync by 155MiB.
30
31 To me this sounds more like an open question than as a notice that
32 infra is going to drop ChangeLogs. If the council thinks that such
33 a decision is at infra's discretion then presumably we should make
34 a statement to that effect.
35
36 > Right now I'm personally inclined to vote against any resolution
37 > requiring anybody to do anything simply because I don't see a
38 > pressing need to impose a policy on them. I'd encourage anybody who
39 > wants a repo with different/absent Changelogs to just create one and
40 > let others sync it as they desire.
41
42 Presumably, this would imply duplicating the rsync mirror system?
43
44 Ulrich