From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting 2015-01-13: call for agenda items
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 21:03:20
1 On 12/29/2014 02:06 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 2:34 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Anthony G. Basile:
4 >>>
5 >>> I'd like to add a discussion on glep 39. In particular, under
6 >>> specifications we have:
7 >>>
8 >>> "It may have one or many leads, and the leads are selected by the
9 >>> members of the project. This selection must occur at least once every 12
10 >>> months, and may occur at any time."
11 >>>
12 >>
13 >> That requirement imposes a specific structure on projects. There are
14 >> ways to have a functional project without any lead.
15 >>
16 >> So that phrase should be removed altogether.
19 > I think we need to step back and think about why we have projects.
20 > The whole point of projects is to have something in-between the
21 > Council and anything-goes. So, if you want to know whether doing xyz
22 > is acceptable for Python modules, you can ask the Python project. If
23 > you REALLY disagree you can then complain to the Council, but they're
24 > probably going to just side with the Python project since that is the
25 > whole reason for having a Python project.
26 >
27 > Well, since projects are inanimate concepts you can't actually ask
28 > them questions - you need people to talk for them. So, if 3 people on
29 > the Python project say one thing, and 3 others say something else,
30 > then what IS the opinion of the Python project? To settle that we
31 > have project leads.
32 >
33 > I'll certainly agree that not everything needs a formal project.
34 > However, if a project wants to have authority/autonomy beyond
35 > anything-goes, then it should welcome members and elect a lead
36 > regularly.
37 >
38 > I think that some of what sparked this question is that some projects
39 > are fairly non-responsive, and devs don't feel at liberty to make
40 > commits to packages under the authority of that project. IMHO the
41 > simplest solution here is to tell people to just announce their
42 > changes and go ahead and make them if there are no objections. The
43 > onus has to be on the person blocking change to prevent it, unless we
44 > want to fossilize. Of course, anybody can always go to the Council
45 > for help, but the point isn't to micromanage every little decision
46 > anybody wants to make.
49 The onus was already on them to stop a commit. question 13 of the
50 second section.
51
52 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/quiz/ebuild-quiz.txt
53
54 I would love some sort of automatic process for doing elections though.
55 I'm not the best at this (scheduling and admin work).
58 -- Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)