From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] call for agenda items -- council meeting 2017-09-10
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2017 21:18:15
1 On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 4:54 PM, Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > For everyone's information, sparc is in its current state because
4 > bender, our sparc development system hosted at OSUOSL died in April
5 > and Infra has not fixed it for whatever reason.
6
7 If nobody who uses Gentoo owns a sparc, why are we so concerned about
8 maintaining the architecture?
9
10 > I'd be happy to drop most keywords to ~arch (and Tobias
11 > and I have agreed to do exactly this for alpha). In my experience as a
12 > member of the MIPS team I can also tell you that fully ~arch is
13 > terrible for stage building -- you're constantly dealing with generic
14 > unstable problems and not with anything specific to the architecture
15 > or stage building. Dropping profiles to dev/exp only exacerbate this
16 > problem.
17
18 Well, then somebody on the sparc project team should just do it. They
19 don't need anybody's permission to do so.
20
21 If we don't have a sparc project team, and we don't have anybody who
22 even owns a sparc, then why are we worried about this in the first
23 place?
24
25 > As such, I suggest that instead we consider dropping everything
26 > outside of the @system set (and its dependencies) to ~arch for select
27 > architectures. This will ensure that the core system remains stable
28 > and stage building goes as smoothly as possible. With the
29 > significantly reduced stabilization work load, I suspect that the arch
30 > testers can keep up with keyword requests and stabilization requests
31 > for @system packages.
32
33 If the arch testers can't even manage to drop keywords, how are they
34 going to manage to keep up with stable requests on the @system set?
37 > I don't think we need council to be involved in this case. Please have
38 > a little more patience until this can be done.
41 Patience for who?
42
43 Who will do this, and when do they plan for it to be done?
44
45 If somebody wrote a post saying, "I realize this is a problem, I'm
46 taking over as the new sparc lead, give me a week or two to clean up
47 the keywords and we'll keep up on the rest of the stable requests" I
48 can't imagine that anybody would be anything but supportive.
49
50 This just comes across as "if we wait, maybe somebody will come."
53 Rich