From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Meeting agenda - Council meeting 2018-04-08
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2018 15:52:09
1 On 18-04-09 11:36:11, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 11:29 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > I would like to apologize for this harmful generalization. Not all
5 > > Trustees in the history of Foundation were incompetent. In particular,
6 > > it is worth noting that Robin H. Johnson has put a significant effort
7 > > in improving the tax situation, and Daniel Campbell had his contribution
8 > > too.
11 > Honestly, I think would be helpful if everybody tries to
12 > de-personalize this discussion.
13 >
14 > I think it makes the most sense to figure out what kind of
15 > meta-structure we want, without regard to the titles individuals are
16 > currently holding. We can always hold an election to re-sort people
17 > (old or new) into the new roles (IMO this should be done if we make
18 > any major changes, precisely because we DON'T want to design roles
19 > with named individuals in mind).
22 It's with this in mind that I've made my current (and previous)
23 proposals.
24
25 > I think the question should be what kind of design is sustainable.
26 >
27 > I do think that the skills we have to work with should be fair game in
28 > a discussion. We're mostly programmers/sysadmins/enthusiasts, and
29 > lawyers are pretty rare in the community. I do think that our
30 > metastructure would benefit from emphasizing the skills our community
31 > actually has. We could also hire in skills we don't have, and I don't
32 > have an issue with that, but again in that case we need to be mindful
33 > of our current cash flow. It doesn't make sense to adopt the
34 > metastructure appropriate for a company with a $50M annual budget when
35 > we operate on a small fraction of this.
36 >
37 > However, all of this can be done without smearing those serving in
38 > various roles today. IMO most genuinely are trying to do what they
39 > think is best for the distro, and I doubt most would have been elected
40 > if a lot of people didn't share that sentiment.
43 My proposal does not preclude moving under an umbrella org (I think it
44 makes it easier actually).
47 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)