From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Representation of Gentoo on third-party platforms
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2016 22:05:57
1 On Sun, Nov 6, 2016 at 4:13 PM, Nick Vinson <nvinson234@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > This is far from true. First, it's much too simplistic of an answer.
4 > US trademark law is highly nuanced and complex[1], so the rules of when
5 > and how Gentoo can limit the use of its name and logo are equally so.
6
7 Sure, the Gentoo policy only applies insofar as our trademark is being
8 used not in accordance with trademark law.
9
10 The policy doesn't have to say that for it to be true.
11
12 You can also quote portions of GPL code under fair use without
13 permission from the author, notwithstanding anything written in the
14 GPL.
15
16 However, for the most part the policy mainly pertains to things like
17 "incorporate the Gentoo name into the name of any group or event" and
18 "merchandise displaying the Gentoo name or logo." If these things are
19 within the domain of the Gentoo trademark Gentoo is generally on
20 pretty strong ground to enforce a trademark in these cases. When you
21 stick our name into your own name you're naturally going to confuse
22 people as to whether you're associated with us.
23
24 > In short, the only correct answer to the question "Does the CoC apply on
25 > those third-party platforms?" is to consult a lawyer who specializes in
26 > such an area.
27
28 Not even a lawyer can definitively answer such questions.
29
30 Ultimately the only way to be sure is to test it, wait to be sued, and
31 win in court, and in all the appeals. That's just the nature of such
32 things. Lawyers can tell you generally whether you're likely to get
33 sued.
34
35 However, naming your organization after somebody else's and then
36 engaging in highly objectionable conduct is probably not the sort of
37 thing most lawyers would advice. If you created a neo-nazi group on
38 Reddit called /r/ford with the Ford Motor Corp logo on your page, and
39 no disclaimers, you're probably not going to have a good time
40 convincing Reddit not to take you down on request, let alone
41 prevailing in court. If your last name was Ford and there was no logo
42 and no reference to the car company, then you'd probably have a good
43 shot.
44
45 And ultimately that should be our main concern anyway. If the Gentoo
46 Penguin Preservation Society is a bunch of degenerates it isn't really
47 that big of a problem. If somebody creates a group simply called
48 "Gentoo" and bearing our logo, and dealing with our distro, and they
49 mistreat people, it is going to tend to reflect badly on us. If we do
50 nothing about it when told about it, that reflects even worse.
51
52 Now, if we tell the site owner to take it down and they don't, or if
53 we lose a court case, that isn't something we can entirely control.
56 Rich