From: desultory <desultory@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Appeals of Moderation Decisions
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2019 06:39:44
1 On 01/31/19 18:21, Raymond Jennings wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 11:27 AM Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 2:11 PM Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> Can Council define an appeals process for appeals of moderation
7 >>> decisions in general for any official Gentoo communications media? I
8 >>> think we have this for mailing lists, as Proctors is the only real
9 >>> moderation there and Proctors does have an appeals process. I think
10 >>> IRC and Forums are the areas with gaps - to the extent that either has
11 >>> an appeals process I can't find it documented anywhere (I welcome
12 >>> leads in both areas to comment).
13 >>>
14 >>
15 >> Proctors already has a defined appeals process. Minor actions like
16 >> warnings or short bans are final, and longer bans are appealable to
17 >> Comrel. IMO this is a reasonable balance.
18 >>
19 >> To the extent that either IRC or Forums formally has a process for
20 >> short-term bans (<1wk)/etc I would suggest those also be
21 >> non-appealable beyond any internal process these teams have.
22 >>
23 >> For appeals beyond this I suggest that Comrel also be the point of
24 >> appeal. I think Proctors could also work, but it raises the question
25 >> of bureaucracy as in theory an IRC op might make a decision, then
26 >> Proctors takes an appeal, then Comrel takes an appeal, and then maybe
27 >> even Council takes an appeal. That is a lot of appeals.
30 > My two cents:
31 >
32 > Would there be any merit for the imposition of additional sanctions for
33 > abuse of process if an appeal is determined to be frivolous?
34 >
35 > This might mitigate any concern about excessive bureaucracy.
36 >
37 Additional bureaucracy would mitigate concern about excessive
38 bureaucracy? ;)
39
40 Seriously though, the option to sanction users (which expressly must
41 include all developers) for frivolous appeals could at least potentially
42 reduce concerns regarding abuse of that appeals process. However,
43 mishandling of appeals is also a concern which bears addressing if one
44 is going quite that far down the bureaucratic rabbit hole.
45
46 Cases where an appeals process, with regard to electronic media, is
47 being abused tend to already have some underlying issue; if they don't
48 the sanctions process is almost certainly being abused.
51 >> Very long-term it might make sense to try to better harmonize how we
52 >> do moderation on all these different media, but I think that is really
53 >> a separate issue, and doesn't need to be settled right away. I think
54 >> that the absence of ANY appeals process in the interim is more of an
55 >> issue, as it does leave people who are subject to what might be one
56 >> person's decision no real access to due process. Even if all the
57 >> moderators are doing a perfect job there should be a process.
58 >>
59 >> I'd encourage IRC ops or Forums mods to chime in with their thoughts
60 >> here...
61 >>
62 >> --
63 >> Rich