From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: Alistair Bush <ali_bush@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Not so Random Idea: Website redesign
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 23:50:55
1 On 11:00 Sat 26 Jan , Alistair Bush wrote:
2 > Ok, so we all know that the last redesign of the website failed for various
3 > reasons. Yet I still think that it is a good way of getting community
4 > feedback and involvement. Therefore what if we were to have a redesign
5 > based around the style (and not the content) of gentoo's websites.
6 >
7 > Therefore and entry would consist of x css (however many we currently have)
8 > files.
9 > Our html would be fixed, tho I do admit that we may have to make some
10 > changes to enable contributors to customise images, etc (Hopefully they
11 > would be minor). Any changes we make would be to generalise our html to
12 > enable contributor contributions. contributors could not ask for "special
13 > features" specific to their theme.
14 >
15 > What we could then do is implement a theming engine so users could pick the
16 > theme they wish. and/or
17 > have a winning entry set as the default theme ( or just The Theme ) for a
18 > period of time. after which we could switch back or not.
19 >
20 > Anyway, what do ppl think of this from a 10,000 foot view.
21
22 We've been talking about some website changes in the PR group, since the
23 website is our primary public-facing aspect. Having a fairly outdated,
24 crowded website design turns away potential users.
25
26 Join up to #gentoo-pr and talk to us. One important point to consider is
27 exactly what happened last time around, which I've been looking into,
28 and whether we could pick up that work. There were some serious issues
29 to consider regarding CSS.
30
31 Here's what I was told:
32
33 "One of the huge obstacles to be tackled by the redesign was figuring
34 out how to get the XSLT to work with all our existing XML documents to
35 churn out CSS-based content, rather than HTML table-based descriptive
36 content (not CSS-based). That puzzler ended up helping kill the thing."
37 (among other issues, such as the modified color scheme and the proposed
38 logo change)
39
40 I'm sure Xavier Neys (neysx) has some great war stories, too.
41
42 Thanks,
43 Donnie
44 --