From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Proposal for Council: Prohibit Harassment & Discrimination via the CoC
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 11:39:41
1 On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 8:47 PM, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Gentoo should ALSO care if it comes to light that individuals with past
4 > history of incidents are participating in the community. Eg: [1a][1b]
5 > [1a] http://www.eventbrite.com/e/ignite-bridgetown-part-of-portland-startup-week-tickets-15491321961
6 > [1b] http://crystalbeasley.com/2015/02/04/I-stand-against-kveton/
7 > How it should deal with any such individuals I don't have a good answer
8 > to, but should be considered in CoC changes.
9
10 Looking at your example, how do we find a balance between:
11
12 1. Safety (err on the side of caution) vs justice (innocent until
13 proven guilty)?
14 2. Safety (once a criminal, always a criminal) vs redemption (why
15 wouldn't we want somebody trying to turn their life around to
16 contribute to FOSS) vs punishment (here is our chance to show
17 solidarity and throw a few more stones)?
18
19 The posts you cited concern somebody who was actually exonerated of
20 the crime in a court of law. I fully get the importance of making
21 people feel safe, and the seriousness of the crime involved, but can
22 we expect Comrel to do a better investigation than the police?
23
24 If somebody did do something horrible like murder somebody 20 years
25 ago, and they've moved on, shouldn't we give them that opportunity,
26 especially when for the most part we're talking about posting on
27 mailing lists and forums and bugzilla?
28
29 But, I'll admit I really don't get the US-style system of justice. We
30 lock people up for minor offenses. Then after time served for major
31 offenses we treat people like they're unsafe to have walking around on
32 the streets, despite letting them walk around on the streets anyway.
33 It is like we want to imprison everybody for life for everything, but
34 can't quite bring ourselves to do it (or maybe we just can't build
35 prisons fast enough to do so). The thought that somebody who commits
36 a crime could be rehabilitated is completely alien to us.
37
38 Are some crimes just so serious that a conviction should be sufficient
39 to exclude them from society forever? If so, why don't we lock them
40 up? Are some crimes just so serious that an accusation should be
41 sufficient to exclude them from society forever? If so, why doesn't
42 that make me feel safer?
45 Rich