From: Rich Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Call For Agenda Items - 13 May 2014
Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 13:22:39
1 On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 8:46 AM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 > This isn't the first time... you probably know, the gtk3 vs gtk2 vs gtk
3 > flag issue is still UNRESOLVED. I pushed for a clear decision often
4 > enough (must be more than a year now) and here we are, still without any.
5 > The same applies for tinderbox, applies for pkg-config discussion,
6 > applies for...
7
8 You can always put some of these on the council agenda (as has already
9 been done with pkg-config). Granted, I'm not sure what you expect
10 anybody to do about the tinderbox, as the only thing that requires is
11 somebody to step up and just do the work.
12
13 I agree with your point that a tinderbox would be useful - adding more
14 bug reports to bugzilla is a good thing, and some will get ignored,
15 but others will get fixed which otherwise wouldn't be noticed.
16 However, I don't really see QA as the thing standing in the way of a
17 tinderbox.
18
19 Honestly, I'm not a big fan of QA taking on the role of the body that
20 makes controversial decisions. I think they're the right place to
21 start with questions like these, but when there is an issue that isn't
22 clear-cut I think that is what the council is for. I'm not saying
23 that QA shouldn't ever be able to make policy - only that it should
24 use discretion when doing so, and that seems to be what is happening
25 here.
26
27 Rich