From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [pre-GLEP] Secrecy-respecting voting mechanism for Gentoo projects
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 19:08:43
1 On Sat, 2021-08-28 at 15:01 -0400, Aaron Bauman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Aug 28, 2021 at 12:30:15PM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > Please review the following pre-GLEP.
6 > >
7 > > ---
8 > > GLEP: 9999
9 > > Title: Secrecy-respecting voting mechanism for Gentoo projects
10 > > Author: Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o>
11 > > Type: Standards Track
12 > > Status: Draft
13 > > Version: 1
14 > > Created: 2021-08-27
15 > > Last-Modified: 2021-08-27
16 > > Post-History: 2021-08-27
17 > > Content-Type: text/x-rst
18 > > ---
19 > >
20 > > Abstract
21 > > ========
22 > >
23 > > A new voting system is devised with the aim of providing a single voting
24 > > system for all Gentoo elections and votes. Automation is used to
25 > > eliminate the human bottleneck in processing the elections. Votes are
26 > > submitted via random identifers, and the identifiers are sent to voters
27 > > via encrypted e-mail to protect the vote secrecy. E-mail is used to
28 > > enable non-developer voters to participate.
31 > > Motivation
32 > > ==========
33 > >
34 > > The votify/countify tooling used to run Gentoo elections dates back
35 > > to 2005. While it still serves it purpose, it has grown antiquated
36 > > and is facing a few problems that are discouraging the developers from
37 > > using it. These are:
38 > >
39 > > The problems with the current tooling include:
40 > >
41 > > 1. The elections require a lot of manual setup and attention. This is
42 > > causing noticeable delays and can raise doubts about the validity
43 > > of elections. For example, voters can still submit or modify votes
44 > > after the deadline until the infra official collects them.
47 > Given what we have seen in the security election this year, what
48 > determines *who* can start an election? Maybe some clarity in GLEP 39?
49
50 This is outside the scope of this GLEP. It's about providing a tool,
51 not telling how projects select leads. That's really in scope of GLEP
52 39 indeed.
53
54 > > At this point, votify is practically used only for the Council
55 > > and Trustee elections. The late attempts of using it for the Base
56 > > System and Security project elections have resulted in a lot of
57 > > frustration from the developers participating. The vast majority of
58 > > project elections are currently run using third-party services or plain
59 > > mail votes.
62 > I am not aware of anyone from the security team having issues with
63 > this... would you please expound on the issues of use?
66 The complaints I've seen were primarily because of how long it took for
67 Elections team to publish results. I suppose it was in comparison with
68 Helios where the results are immediately available.
71 Best regards,
72 Michał Górny