From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Some focus for Gentoo
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 11:26:19
1 Am Dienstag 13 Januar 2015, 21:43:23 schrieb Donnie Berkholz:
2 > Wanted to share my thoughts on where I think Gentoo should go, in terms
3 > of direction. Would love to hear your thoughts.
4 >
5 > http://dberkholz.com/2015/01/13/gentoo-needs-focus-to-stay-relevant/
6
7 Hi Donnie,
8
9 I agree that your three main points are very good use cases for Gentoo, I'm
10 just not sure yet how they exactly lead to more focussing.
11
12 I'd like to add another category, which definitely attracts people to Gentoo
13 (as long as the relevant parts of Gentoo are well-maintained):
14
15 "People who want to run bleeding edge code"
16
17 ^ As an example, this was for a long time and likely still is the attraction
18 of the Gentoo KDE ebuilds (live, live stable branch, and alpha, beta, release
19 candidates, releases all as zero day bumps). The KDE team has historically
20 attracted a lot of developers to Gentoo, who now contribute in all sorts of
21 different projects.
22
23 [Now if we could only get Qt 5 unmasked...]
24
25 Cheers,
26 Andreas
29 Andreas K. Huettel