From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o, gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-nfp] Extending Social Contract to guarantee that Gentoo will remain volunteer work
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 18:01:44
1 On 26/01/17 15:46, Roy Bamford wrote:
2 > On 2017.01.26 15:03, Michał Górny wrote:
3 >> [discussion intended at -nfp, CC-ing -project]
4 >>
5 >> Hi,
6 >>
7 >> I would like to add an additional clause to the Gentoo Social Contract
8 >> [1], to guarantee that Gentoo will remain a volunteer-based project
9 >> and will not turn into some kind of paid enterprise. The suggested
10 >> text
11 >> would be:
12 >>
13 >> | Gentoo is and will remain independent volunteer work. We will never
14 >> | pay anyone to develop Gentoo, nor will we accept any donations given
15 >> | on the condition of any particular development.
16 >>
17 >> Text improvements welcome.
18 >>
19 > [snip]
20 >> [1]:https://www.gentoo.org/get-started/philosophy/social-contract.html
21 >>
22 >> --
23 >> Best regards,
24 >> Michał Górny
25 >> <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>
26 >>
27 > Michał,
28 >
29 > In general, I don't have a problem with this but it needs some fine tuning
30 > to permit 'bug bounties' and the like where there is a well defined scope
31 > of work which is good value for Gentoo to pay for for the end result.
32 >
33 > The Foundation has paid a bug bounty once that I an aware of.
34 > The discussion and vote is in the trustees meetings logs.
35 >
36 > What about non technical work?
37 > We may actually need to pay for legal and or financial advice and
38 > the like, where we cannot find pro bono support.
39 >
40 > If the intent was to rule out paid employees doing what they want and
41 > pushing Gentoo wherever they wanted it to go, its not going to happen
42 > any time soon. Gentoo cannot afford even a single full time employee.
43 > Then there are all the admin overheads associated with employee(s).
44 > In any case, paid employees are assigned work. That would be no
45 > different in Gentoo. Then maybe we would need paid managers too.
46 >
47 Whilst I support Roy's comments above, I do feel that actively
48 Preventing Gentoo from hiring people should a need be identified and
49 supported and carried by council/trustees/board/<insert authority here>
50 is a bad idea. Of course, the premise is that there is an identified
51 need, and the body to authorise such expenditure approves and/or can
52 justify it (being the "democratically" elected body). I don't suspect,
53 resource permitting, there is *any* desire from *anyone* with relevant
54 access to funds, to unilaterally "hire" people for the sake of it.
55
56 We seem to be badly obsessed with this principle that the devs (read
57 "community") do not have the same aims and objectives as the "council"
58 or the "trustees" and they all have their own motives and means. I
59 strongly believe that *IF* there are any members or contributors,
60 mindful of the Dev quiz questions and answers, who /don't/ believe and
61 strive for the key aims of a "Gentoo Mission Statement" should not be
62 either influencing or contributing significantly to the Gentoo name or
63 cause. We are here to build a linux distribution not to "Rule the
64 Roost", "Inflate our Ego" or "Furnish our Resume/CV/etc" "file taxes"
65 "carry out specific work for the benefit of any
66 individual/organisation/institution" etc, etc etc. Let's actually get
67 behind the same, common aim and get on with the work of building and
68 maintaining a linux distro and quit the bikeshed about who is pulling
69 the ropes this way or that. It's not a tug of war, a competition or
70 other sporting event.