From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] GLEP 1/2 updates for the new old-school GLEP workflow
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 21:59:09
1 On 09/14/2017 12:03 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hi, everyone.
3 >
4 > Following the backporting of all GLEP changes from the wiki to my draft
5 > repository [1] (which is still open for a separate review), I have
6 > prepared an update for GLEP 1 & 2. For your convenience, the update
7 > is both sent as git patches in reply to this mail, and provided
8 > as a GH pull request [2].
9 >
10 > The notable changes are:
11 >
12 > 1. A new git-based workflow is introduced that is a combination
13 > of the old CVS workflow and the MW workflow (wrt access
14 > restrictions). The developers create branches or fork the GLEP
15 > repository, and work on their drafts there. GLEP editors merge
16 > changes into master to make them official.
17 >
18 > 2. The old ReST markup is restored. Previously, GLEPs allowed also
19 > GuideXML but this is not supported anymore.
20 >
21 > 3. The complete set of GLEP headers is restored, and they are updated
22 > for the modern workflow:
23 >
24 > - Last-Updated needs to be set manually,
25 > - Version is updated manually and is semantic,
26 > - all dates use ISO 8601 (GLEP 45).
27 >
28 > 4. Two minor changes are made for better interoperability (i.e. less
29 > custom code and better support for external tools):
30 >
31 > - source files are renamed from .txt to .rst,
32 > - headers are surrounded by '---' to be compatible with YAML Front
33 > Matter.
34 >
35 > 5. GLEP workflow is updated to account for additional statuses in use:
36 >
37 > - 'Withdrawn' when author withdraws the GLEP (used in 4 GLEPs),
38 > - 'Moribund' when GLEP is obsoleted without a replacement
39 > (historically used in 1 GLEP but the need was discussed recently).
40 >
41 > Please review and comment.
42 >
43 > [1]:https://github.com/gentoo/glep-draft/pull/1
44 > [2]:https://github.com/gentoo/glep-draft/pull/2
45 >
46 > --
47 > Best regards,
48 > Michał Górny
51 Looks good. Migrating to purely text files, independent of framework, is
52 a good step forward. K-9 zapped a mail I tried to send to you in another
53 reply saying such, so I felt it best to repeat it here. I like how we're
54 referencing and leveraging existing standards to improve interoperability.
55
56 If I had to find a nitpick, it's a minor feature request: can we get a
57 GLEP template file later on, to aid the initial drafting process? I
58 didn't see it in the repo.
59 --
60 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer, Trustee, Treasurer
61 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
62 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6