From: Alice Ferrazzi <alicef@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Representation of Gentoo on third-party platforms
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 12:25:20
1 On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 7:33 PM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
2 > On 13/11/16 02:18, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Sat, Nov 12, 2016 at 8:58 PM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
4 >>> On 13/11/16 01:54, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
5 >>>> On 11/13/2016 02:53 AM, M. J. Everitt wrote:
6 >>>>
7 >>>>>>> With respect, Kristian, I really don't believe we have a problem with
8 >>>>>>> technical matters ... ;]
9 >>>>>>>
10 >>>>>> The description above is a normative description of how things works in
11 >>>>>> the general case, which doesn't involve comrel. The latter is only
12 >>>>>> involved when the usual dispute resolution is not applicable due to
13 >>>>>> personnel making technical issues personal.
14 >>>>>>
15 >>>>> Ok so for the sake of clarity, we have a purely technical issue, which
16 >>>>> is either right or wrong .. and then someone takes it as a personal
17 >>>>> affront, instead of being mature and professional, and accepting the
18 >>>>> correction, learning the lesson, to put into practise in future. So
19 >>>>> instead of the issue being purely technical .. said person MAKES it
20 >>>>> personal .. and therefore themselves causes a conflict .. which requires
21 >>>>> some form of Discipline .. which breeds hate .. and ...
22 >>>>>
23 >>>>> .. you see where I'm going .. ?!
24 >>>>>
25 >>>> At which point ComRel is the applicable body
26 >>>>
27 >>> And this is where I think we are all going wrong ........ it should
28 >>> indeed never *ever* reach that point. Are we not all agreed on that
29 >>> point maybe???
30 >>>
31 >> Sure. Honestly, very few issues should ever reach the Council, and
32 >> certainly not Comrel.
33 >>
34 >> But, they do, and they end up having to be dealt with.
35 >>
36 >> If everybody behaves the way they ought to then they'll resolve issues
37 >> on their own.
38 >>
39 >> And it is much better to escalate an issue and get it dealt with than
40 >> just fight WW3 over it at the ground level. That doesn't mean that
41 >> you escalate it before you try to deal with it. It means that you
42 >> escalate it when it is apparent that you're not getting anywhere.
43 >>
44 > I think there is a poor culture in Gentoo that all conflicts should
45 > immediately be referred to ComRel, which I think puts undue burden on
46 > them for dealing with stupid matters that a single night's sleep and a
47 > fresh face ought to resolve. One of the first questions a ComRel officer
48 > should therefore ask FIRST is "have you honestly, (count to 10 and think
49 > about it) exhausted all possible other methods?". This is probably worth
50 > even documenting. Sure, posting a quick mail to put something on record
51 > is fine, and perhaps there should be a more anonymous method of
52 > reporting abuse, so that secrecy isn't required .. Proposition for
53 > further thought/bike-shedding welcome.
56 Looks like is already documented.
57
58 From ComRel Project page:
59 "Community Relations may also act after all other attempts to solve the
60 issue have failed. Developers are encouraged to try to solve the issue
61 among themselves in a civil manner before they reach out to Community
62 Relations. Developers within a project engaged in a personal conflict
63 may wish to consult with the project lead. Although leads are not
64 necessarily qualified to resolve personal disputes, technical issues
65 resulting in conflict can often be resolved within the project without
66 Community Relations involvement.
67
68 Community Relations becomes involved when the above two methods have
69 failed."
70
71 The above two methods are try to deal it in civil manner and if possible
72 consult with the Project Leader before escalating to ComRel.
75 アリス フェッラッシィ
76 Alice Ferrazzi
77
78 Gentoo, If it moves, compile it!
79 My_overlay: https://github.com/aliceinwire/overlay
80 Gentoo Euscan: http://goo.gl/YNbU3h
81 Mail: Alice Ferrazzi <alicef@g.o>
82 PGP: 2E4E 0856 461C 0585 1336 F496 5621 A6B2 8638 781A