From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: Unpermitted distribution of Gentoo shirts and mugs?
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 02:37:12
1 Posting to project as it's not technical, nor is it for nfp as it's not
2 questioning the legal issue.
3
4 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
5 >
6 > To put it simply, anyone selling anything with a Gentoo logo on it is
7 > breaking the law, unless they are selling a Gentoo Linux CD. In other
8 > words, the only allowed commercial usage is when talking *about* Gentoo.
9 >
10 > The Friends of Gentoo e.V. have said repeatedly that they have some
11 > agreement with the Foundation. As a trustee, I never saw any such
12 > evidence. Any licenses given out by the Foundation for usage of our
13 > logos and name would need to be done in writing to have even the
14 > slightest chance of being legal. If they have documentation, I would
15 > like to see it.
16 >
17 > As for Cafepress and such, I check it every so often and report anyone
18 > using our logos and they take them down. I have a couple places on my
19 > radar, I just haven't gotten all of the paperwork finished and sent in.
20 >
21 Is it worth getting users who have legal experience/contacts, or indeed
22 groklaw et al to help stop this sort of thing? Or is this something the SFC
23 would handle on Gentoo's behalf? I am unsure if they would want to resource
24 it and I can't see Gentoo affording it, so that leaves it to the users to
25 help with :-) It shouldn't be taking up developer time imo.
29 gentoo-project@g.o mailing list