From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: Unpermitted distribution of Gentoo shirts and mugs?
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 02:37:12
Posting to project as it's not technical, nor is it for nfp as it's not
questioning the legal issue.

Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> > To put it simply, anyone selling anything with a Gentoo logo on it is > breaking the law, unless they are selling a Gentoo Linux CD. In other > words, the only allowed commercial usage is when talking *about* Gentoo. > > The Friends of Gentoo e.V. have said repeatedly that they have some > agreement with the Foundation. As a trustee, I never saw any such > evidence. Any licenses given out by the Foundation for usage of our > logos and name would need to be done in writing to have even the > slightest chance of being legal. If they have documentation, I would > like to see it. > > As for Cafepress and such, I check it every so often and report anyone > using our logos and they take them down. I have a couple places on my > radar, I just haven't gotten all of the paperwork finished and sent in. >
Is it worth getting users who have legal experience/contacts, or indeed groklaw et al to help stop this sort of thing? Or is this something the SFC would handle on Gentoo's behalf? I am unsure if they would want to resource it and I can't see Gentoo affording it, so that leaves it to the users to help with :-) It shouldn't be taking up developer time imo. -- gentoo-project@g.o mailing list