From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] dilfridge's Council 2021 manifesto
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 13:47:49
1 I freely admit that this is an incremental update from last year. (I haven't
2 swapped out my brain in the meantime either). Text also available here:
3 https://dev.gentoo.org/~dilfridge/Manifest-2021.txt
4
5 ===================
6
7 So it's election time again...
8
9 I'm from Regensburg, Germany and by profession an experimental physicist
10 leading a university research group. Outside physics and Gentoo I'm interested
11 in a wide range of topics all the way from art and cultural history to scifi,
12 traveling, and cocktail mixing. (Doesn't necessarily mean that I have time for
13 all that though.)
14
15 I'm a Gentoo developer since 2010; I decided at some point that if I'm
16 tinkering with the computer in my free time anyway I might as well do it
17 productively. Today I mostly work on keeping toolchain stuff like glibc and
18 binutils and also Perl running. In addition, I recently founded the RISC-V
19 team and joined Release Engineering, where I take care of building the
20 RISC-V and 32bit ARM stages via QEMU.
21
22 Council business and QA are other things I'm busy with. At some point I got
23 interested in Gentoo history, and started assembling the council decisions
24 index [1] and updating the Gentoo ecosystem poster [2]. Both badly need an
25 update again.
26
27 Gentoo runs on our university PCs and is controlling our measurements. So, I
28 see a solid stable set and clean upgrade paths as very important. Conversely,
29 ~arch gives us the unique opportunity to provide our users with the bleeding
30 edge of code, and that's something we should use, value and advertise too!
31 Gentoo is about providing choice, not locking anyone into a single solution
32 - so a wide range of projects is great - but on the other hand projects should
33 ideally be structured in a way that they don't block each others' progress.
34
35 What Gentoo needs is *one* democratically elected steering body, the
36 Gentoo Council, that listens to the developer community, is familiar with
37 daily affairs, and makes policy decisions based on that. Electing people means
38 you trust them to represent your interests for a year, not just by reacting to
39 crises, but also by taking proactive decisions. An election is the most
40 reliable way that we have so far to find out what the developer community
41 actually wants. From this background I stand for a proactive council that
42 takes responsibility for all aspects of Gentoo.
43
44 We need to build on the strengths of Gentoo and emphasize its coolness.
45 Infinite adaptibility, combination of cutting edge testing and solid stable,
46 wide arch support, ideal for software developers. This means generic public
47 relations work (see e.g. FOSDEM, which hopefully will return to its
48 well-proven in-person format next year), but also initiatives of developers
49 to "do something cool", supporting and publicising that.
50
51 We need to at least try to go with the times. Yes I see the ideological and
52 practical disadvantages of, e.g., Github, but if we want to attract a large
53 base of contributors, we need to seriously think about having modern,
54 comparable ways to contribute! And not get stuck in eternal yesterday... just
55 because things were done successfully in one way when you joined Gentoo
56 10 years ago, that doesnt mean they have to be done that way for all
57 eternity; this attitude does not help!
58
59 We need to stand for the free software community, and cooperate with other
60 open source / free software projects in a mutually beneficial way. Let us
61 not forget that free software is to a large extent driven by volunteers and
62 enthusiasts. It's great if big enterprise is contributing and also
63 profiting from our efforts - but let us remember, this is our playing field!
64
65 That's it for now. Cheers!
66
67 [1] https://dev.gentoo.org/~dilfridge/decisions.pdf
68 [2] https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo-ecosystem
72 Andreas K. Hüttel
73 dilfridge@g.o
74 Gentoo Linux developer
75 (council, toolchain, base-system, perl, libreoffice)