From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Spoofing on list -> Infra response re SPF
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2016 20:10:45
1 On Mon, 05 Dec 2016 14:50:30 -0500
2 "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Also why is GPG signing no longer required?
5 >
6 > That alone can help ensure emails are coming from who they say they are. Not
7 > sure how I was able to sign an email with an email not part of my GPG key. Not
8 > sure if that is kmail bug or by design.
9
10 1. Obviously it would be harmful to require non-devs to sign all their email to the -dev ml
11
12 It would form a substantial barrier to discussion contribution.
13
14 2. Being lax here means there's no technical barrier preventing people
15 replying hastily to emails using their phone or somesuch, which may not be
16 equipped with satisfactory cryptography tools for GPG signing.
17
18 In fact, forcing GPG everywhere is more disposed to creating problems,
19 where people would employ weak GPG implementations just to circumvent the requirements,
20 or have weak GPG installs to make the hassle of constantly entering your GPG key
21 password go away, and/or distributing your GPG keys in unsafe ways.
22
23 Its better on a "as you need it" basis, where people who *want* to sign *can*
24 and are *encouraged* to.
25
26 And emails from @gentoo devs can be read without needing a signature, but
27 if it comes to a situation where a dev needs to put any kind of weight behind
28 that email, that is a situation where you can *require* GPG without needing
29 it being a blanket approach.
30
31 As long as you keep in mind that every unsigned email is potentially
32 a forgery, and that for sensitive matters a signed email is required,
33 then there is no real need for a technical gatekeeper that forces signatures.
34
35 I would instead hope for an alternative:
36
37 1. Emails from @gentoo devs without signatures are clearly marked as such
38 2. Emails from @gentoo devs *with* signatures have the signature verified
39 as being both a "known signer" in LDAP and a signer that corresponds to
40 the @gentoo email address, and are clearly marked if this validation fails.
41
42 This data would be especially helpful to display in archives etc, where
43 the GPG data and raw headers etc may be lost transiently on the way to the archive.
44
45 Presently, *only the messageid* gives away that this is a forgery:
46
47 https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-project/message/adc634b0fd1a8b42305bf783f06ac218