From: zlg <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Burden of proof
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2018 05:47:15
1 On Mon, Apr 02, 2018 at 02:11:13PM -0500, R0b0t1 wrote:
2 > Hello friends!
3 >
4 > On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 1:20 PM, Christopher Díaz Riveros
5 > <chrisadr@g.o> wrote:
6 > > Daniel,
7 > >
8 > > El lun, 02-04-2018 a las 09:23 -0600, Daniel Robbins escribió:
9 > >> On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 7:53 AM, Christopher Díaz Riveros
10 > >> <chrisadr@g.o> wrote:
11 > >> > _You_ can say that this is your Burden of proof that mgorny is not
12 > >> > capable of being a Council member, but in the same line, _your
13 > >> > post_
14 > >> > shows that you are neither in position to be a good Council member
15 > >> > or
16 > >> > project lead, at least that's just _my_ opinion about this post.
17 > >>
18 > >> I am perfectly happy with you having that opinion, because I have
19 > >> never had any intention of being a Council member or project lead,
20 > >> nor "returning BDFL" of Gentoo that mgorny insinuates.
21 > >>
22 > >
23 > > No Daniel, but the fact is that you have history with Gentoo, even when
24 > > you don't see yourself trying to be a "leader", you need to act like
25 > > one.
26 > >
27 > > This reminds me some horrible local news from my country, where a
28 > > congressman had to made public some videos about corruption that we
29 > > suffer as country, that ended up in the resignation of our president.
30 > > Maybe he had to leave, but making pressure by using private videos and
31 > > then release them to public, was definetly not he correct way to do
32 > > that.
33 > >
34 > > This is the fact from you fact-list:
35 > >
36 > > You showed the whole mailing list (and leaved a permanent tracking
37 > > file) a conversation that was not previously seen by ComRel (which is
38 > > the project who you should try to contact before making this kind of
39 > > information public). Even when you are "just another user" here... I
40 > > mean, you run Funtoo, you are a public leader, and how could I possibly
41 > > trust my leader if he shows private conversations publicly... that's a
42 > > fact no matter with whom the conversation is, or what is it about.
45 > While in general I have no business posting here, I think I should
46 > rephrase what it seems you are saying:
47 >
48 > "People should not be held accountable for their actions, because that
49 > might make them feel bad."
50 >
51 > I would be hard pressed to find people who agree.
54 > Using the (US) legal system as a guide, if I break the law to obtain
55 > evidence of someone *else* breaking the law, that evidence is
56 > admissible (if I remember correctly) because I am not the government.
57 > However, it is likely I would still be prosecuted for whatever law
58 > that I broke, though in some areas any charges might be waived by
59 > statute.
60 >
61 > In a semi-related vein, the majority of US states do not require that
62 > all parties agree to have their correspondence recorded for any of the
63 > participants to record that correspondence.
66 > It stands to reason that if someone sees you behaving in a manner they
67 > think others should be made aware of, society already supports making
68 > others aware of those actions, even if custom would be to keep them
69 > private.
70 >
71 > Cheers,
72 > R0b0t1
75 Some states such as Washington are known as "two-party", meaning that
76 both parties to communications must consent to recording. This is often
77 abused by corporations in this state by forcing customers to agree to
78 *being* recorded, but refusing to help customers if they don't turn off
79 their recording apparatus. I am unsure of the legal precedent, but
80 practiced law is often different from written law.
81
82 Legal Source: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.73.030
83
84 As for corporate behavior, I worked for a company who did that for phone
85 support and operated in Washington state.
86
87 In short, it really depends on which state you're in.
88
89 ~zlg