From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] How to improve detection of unmaintained packages?
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 19:22:21
1 On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 2:26 PM Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 10:17 AM Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
6 > > Avoid letting the perfect be the enemy of the good here.
7 >
8 > Indeed, we need to avoid treating packages as unmaintained simply
9 > because they have open bugs.
10 >
11 > Many packages have bugs that are fairly trivial in nature, or build
12 > issues that only show up in fairly obscure configurations. These
13 > often affect only a single user.
16 So this is why I advocate for building a number of signals, and using a
17 combination of signals to determine if a package is unmaintained.
21 > If we treeclean the package we don't actually fix the problem - we
22 > just drive it to an overlay. Now instead of a package that works for
23 > 11/12 users and has an obscure but, we now have a package that isn't
24 > getting monitored for security issues, and other QA issues that might
25 > actually be fixed if they were pointed out.
26 >
27 > > Rules:
28 > > A package is unmaintained if it:
29 > > - Has not been touched in 5 years
30 >
31 > Do we really want to bump packages just for the sake of saying that
32 > they've been touched? That seems a bit much.
35 I'm not saying "we should absolutely remove packages that have not been
36 touched in N years" but I am saying "we should review packages that have
37 not been touched in N years".
41 > > - Is behind 3 versions AND hasn't been touched in 2 years
42 >
43 > If we have the ability to detect if a package is behind upstream,
44 > perhaps we should actually file bugs about this so that the maintainer
45 > is aware.
46 >
47 > However, the fact that a newer version exists doesn't necessarily mean
48 > that there is a problem with the older version. For some types of
49 > software a maintainer might be picky about what updates they accept.
50 > For example, they might need to synchronize versions with other
51 > distros that update less often/etc. They should of course accept
52 > contributions from others willing to test, but the fact that somebody
53 > is maintaining a package on Gentoo doesn't obligate them to always
54 > support the latest version of that package.
57 > Now, obviously if there is a security issue/etc then we should follow
58 > the existing security policies, but those are already established.
61 Would you be happier if there was some kind of opt-out or whitelist?
62
63 Have you looked at mgorny's recent removals? its mostly stuff that doesn't
64 build and hasn't been touched in 5 years and *yeah* I want that stuff out
65 of the tree; its a net negative for everyone. Keeping packages in the tree
66 isn't free.
70 > --
71 > Rich