From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] pre-GLEP: Gentoo Developer status
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2018 02:59:08
1 On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 22:30:21 +0100
2 "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
3
4 > I'm inclined to support the idea that <something> is marginally better
5 > than <nothing> and could be used as some form of evidence should there
6 > be need to substantiate a claim either way, and make it much less
7 > subjective ...
8 >
9 > Not looking for a perfect solution here, that IS impossible, just
10 > something that would aid metrics...
11
12 Agreed. Its useful in one direction, to say "Look, they're active, proof!",
13 but can't be used to say "Look, they're INACTIVE".
14
15 Similar to how a Bloom Filter can be used to say:
16
17 "We definitely did not see this item before"
18
19 But can't be used to say
20
21 "We definitely saw this item before"
22
23 Subsequently, an automated "you're inactive, so drop your commit
24 rights" bot can't exist, as it can only determine if you're factually
25 active, not factually inactive.
28 It could at best aggregate these sources and produce a list of gentoo
29 devs that are /possibly/ inactive, but not /certainly/ inactive.
30
31 And humans can then scour that list and attempt to verify the activity
32 status.